Facebook will convert part of its headquarters into a vaccination site for underserved communities
- The vaccination site is intended for "underserved, hard-hit communities," COO
- Californians over the age of 16 are eligible to be vaccinated starting on April 15.
Part of Facebook's sprawling Menlo Park, California, campus is being converted into a COVID-19
"We're partnering with Ravenswood Family Health Network to convert part of our headquarters into a vaccination site for hard-hit communities," Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg said on Friday morning on her Facebook page. "We're also teaming up with the State of California and local nonprofits to support mobile vaccination clinics in four of the state's hardest hit regions."
Beyond just serving as a vaccination site, Sandberg said the goal is to help people in "underserved" communities get vaccinated. Early in the vaccine rollout, people in wealthy ZIP codes had been more likely to get a vaccine than those in poorer areas, Insider's Hillary Hoffower reported.
And an Insider analysis in January of vaccine distribution found that most vaccines were going to white communities, despite Black people and other racial and ethnic minorities in the US being the hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic.
Sandberg urged her Facebook followers to, "get vaccinated once they're eligible...so we can bring an end to the
Facebook employees, like so many office staff around the world, have been working remotely since March 2020. The company is allowing remote work until at least July 2021.
The State of California, where Facebook is based, has said that vaccine eligibility for anyone over 16 years of age will open starting on April 15.
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- Sensex, Nifty fall in morning trade on unabated foreign fund outflows
- Vistara, Air India in expansion mode with daily non-stop flights to Maldives and Doha
- JSW Infra lists at 20% premium in-line with grey market expectations
- Small online sellers set to push their ad budgets higher this festive season
- Updater Services IPO allotment – how to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more