Flipkart beats Amazon to become the top retailer of smartphones online
- Flipkart leads in
smartphone saleswith a share of 57%.
- Amazon’s share also grew by 75% year-on-year.
- Xiaomi drove growth on both Flipkart and Amazon.
Flipkart leads the online smartphone market
Flipkart accounted for 57% of the smartphones sold online in India in the third quarter of 2019. It recorded a healthy lead of 24 percentage points over Amazon. However, Amazon grew faster at 75% year-on-year, accounting for 33% of the smartphones sold online.
Xiaomi’s Mi.com platform accounted for 9% of the smartphones sold online in the same period.
Xiaomi continues to lead the Indian market
Xiaomi capitalized on its strong line-up of value-for-money smartphones like the Redmi Note 7 Pro, Redmi Note 7S and the Redmi 7A. In addition to selling 9% of the total smartphones on Mi.com, Xiaomi also drove smartphones sales on both Flipkart and Amazon.
In total, Xiaomi accounted for 38% of the total smartphones sold online.
Realme, a relatively new entrant in the market registered massive growth in its sales. According to the Counterpoint report, Realme registered a growth of 4.5 times year-on-year, leapfrogging its sister companies like Oppo and Vivo.
Samsung made gains as well due to good line up Galaxy M30s, which offers long battery life thanks to its 6,000mAh battery. Vivo reached the fourth position for the first time ever thanks to aggressive pricing of smartphones like the Vivo U10, Z1x and the Z1 Pro.
OnePlus has continued to lead the premium smartphone segment despite its prices creeping up with every launch. This segment registered a healthy growth of 79%.
Popular on BI
- Best portable room heaters in India
- Best nose pins for those without piercing in India
- Best high speed blenders in India
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events