From the Apple Watch Ultra to the Dynamic Island, these are the coolest things Apple just unveiled
1. Apple just unveiled new products and gadgets. At its "Far Out" event yesterday, Apple pulled the wraps off the new iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro, a fresh lineup of Apple Watches, and next-gen AirPods. Here's what stood out:
- Much of the event was focused on new safety features, including Crash Detection, which can sense if you've been in a car wreck and call emergency services and alert your emergency contacts.
- The new iPhones will also come with Emergency SOS via satellites, which will help connect you with emergency services if you find yourself stranded in an area without cell service. Here are some other stand-out new features.
- As expected, Apple released a hardy new watch for athletes: the Apple Watch Ultra. Just shy of $800, the watch comes with a slew of features and hardware made to withstand extreme sports. Get a look at the Apple Watch Ultra.
- Finally, the widely hated "notch" has been replaced by a pill-shaped cutout that Apple is calling the "Dynamic Island," where information and notifications will be sleekly displayed. If you want to hear about more about the Dynamic Island, listen to my segment on The Refresh from Insider.
This is Insider's 10 Things in Tech morning newsletter — sign up here to receive the briefing in your inbox each weekday.
In other news:
2. Why does Silicon Valley keep forking over millions to screw-ups? Researchers have been studying what kinds of pitches work and who gets the most money. Senior correspondent Adam Rogers read the literature to find out what science says about the best investor pitches — and it ain't pretty.
3. Tim Cook's solution to Android green text bubbles? "Buy your mom an iPhone." During the Code 2022 event, the Apple CEO was asked about ending the green text bubbles that appear when iPhone users text a person with an Android — and he dismissed the issue.
4. Snap launched a secretive project to save Snapchat from falling engagement. Dubbed "Project Sunshine," the project is working to figure out how to get views and engagement of its core Story product back to peak levels. Insiders dish on Project Sunshine.
5. Elon Musk took another loss in his battle against Twitter. A judge once again denied Musk's request to delay the trial, but said he can include last month's whistleblower allegations to his countersuit. More on that here.
6. Elizabeth Holmes wants a new trial. One of the government's star witnesses allegedly showed up at Holmes' house last month, saying he was losing sleep over his testimony that helped convict her. Now, she's requesting a new trial. Get the latest on Holmes' legal battle.
7. Y Combinator founders share what made their applications stand out. We spoke with five founders from this year's cohort, who said concision and practicing for interviews helped them put together a successful application. Read their best tips.
8. Google is reportedly cracking down on employee travel. The firm plans to limit travel only to "business critical" trips, meaning fewer team offsites and social functions — RIP, happy hour.
Odds and ends:
9. Kim Kardashian is launching a private-equity firm. Kardashian is teaming up with a former Carlyle Group partner to launch SKKY Partners, and is aiming for controlling and minority stakes in companies focused on consumer products, luxury, digital commerce, and media. More on Karashian's expanding business empire.
10. For Disney+ Day, new content is coming to the streamer. For the streamer's third anniversary, Disney+ is releasing a handful of new movies and shows, as well as offering discounts and deals. Here's everything we know.
What we're watching today:
- The 47th Toronto International Film Festival opens today.
- CEDIA Tech Summit Canada starts today in Toronto.
- European taxi unions are expected to hold protests in Brussels, blocking two important entrances into the city while demanding stricter controls on Uber drivers.
- I asked Microsoft's 'new Bing' to write me a cover letter for a job. It refused, saying this would be 'unethical' and 'unfair to other applicants.'
- Microsoft's ChatGPT-powered Bing browser now available publicly
- Don't be in a hurry to prepay but plan EMIs better, say experts as home loan burden set to rise
- RBI continues to ‘watch inflation’ closely even as industry hopes for a pause
- PM Modi endorses Indian Oil's 'Surya Nutan' solar cooker at India Energy Week! Should you switch?
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023