GameStop's CFO is resigning as the company attempts a 'transformation' led by activist investor Ryan Cohen
GameStopjust lost a key member of its executive team: Chief Financial Officer Jim Bellis resigning.
- The move is intended "to help accelerate GameStop's transformation," the company said.
resignationis the first major exec shakeup at GameStop in two years.
Just under two years since he joined GameStop as Chief Financial Officer, Jim Bell is resigning as of this week.
In a press release, GameStop said it is looking for a new executive to take Bell's place. The candidate should have, "the capabilities and qualifications to help accelerate GameStop's transformation," the release said.
Senior Vice President and Chief Accounting Officer Diana Jajeh will serve as interim Chief Financial Officer while the company searches for a permanent replacement.
Bell was part of a new executive team chosen to lead GameStop out of dire financial straits in 2019, alongside CEO George Sherman. Bell oversaw GameStop's financials during an especially bizarre period of the company's long history: From historically low stock values in much of 2019 and 2020, to the explosive bubble of early 2021, and throughout the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
GameStop's executive team has come under increased scrutiny as activist investor
"Through our private conversations, we have explained to Mr. Sherman and the Board that GameStop has the ability to pivot toward becoming a technology-driven business that excels in the
It appears that this is the "transformation" that GameStop is referring to in the press release announcing Bell's resignation, but a request for clarification to GameStop went unanswered as of publishing.
Got a tip? Contact Insider senior correspondent Ben Gilbert via email (email@example.com), or Twitter DM (@realbengilbert). We can keep sources anonymous. Use a non-work device to reach out. PR pitches by email only, please.
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Star Health IPO opens today — Check out close date, allotment and other important details
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- In India, less than one in every 10,000 jabs have led to serious adverse reactions — not necessarily due to the vaccine