Google blocked over 99 million COVID-19 fake ads in 2020
"We continue to be nimble, tracking bad actors' behavior and learning from it. In doing so, we're able to better prepare for future scams and claims that may arise," the company said in a statement on Wednesday.
The number of ad accounts Google disabled for policy violations increased by 70 per cent from 1 million to over 1.7 million.
The company also blocked or removed over 867 million ads for attempting to evade its detection systems, including cloaking, and an additional 101 million ads for violating its misrepresentation policies.
"We also continued to invest in our automated detection technology to effectively scan the web for publisher policy compliance at scale," said the company.
Due to this investment, along with several new policies, Google removed ads from 1.3 billion publisher pages in 2020, up from 21 million in 2019.
It also stopped ads from serving on over 1.6 million publisher sites with pervasive or egregious violations.
Over the past few years, we introduced strict policies and restrictions around who can run election-related advertising on Google platform and the ways they can target ads.
"Globally, we continue to expand our verification programme and verified more than 5,400 additional election advertisers in 2020," Google said.
AdvertisementIn the US, Google temporarily paused more than five million ads and blocked ads on over three billion Search queries referencing the election, the candidates or its outcome.
Airtel adds 3 times more subscribers than Jio while Vodafone Idea gets net addition first time in 15 months
Amazon, Wipro Consumer and Ascent Capital invest in beauty brand MyGlamm
Japan’s same-sex marriage ban ruled ‘unconstitutional’ as India’s LGBTQ community waits in hope
Popular on BI
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal
- 70-plus Indian startups show exit door to 21K techies, more pink slips coming
- Steps taken in subsidence-hit Joshimath inadequate, declare Himalayas eco-sensitive zone, say experts
- An app that wants to turn fear of stock markets into fun raises ₹75 lakh from sharks
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip