Google confirms it's fixing the facial-recognition feature on the Pixel 4 after a security gap would let anyone unlock your phone while your eyes are closed
Monica Chin/Business Insider
- It was discovered that the Pixel 4's advanced facial recognition system would unlock the phone even when the owner's eyes were closed, which surfaced concerns about the Pixel 4's security in certain situations, like when you're asleep.
- Google addressed the concerns by confirming that it'll roll out a software update that will include an option that requires an owner's eyes to be open to unlock the Pixel 4.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The security on Google's newly announced Pixel 4 smartphones was under scrutiny before its release when it was revealed that the phone's facial recognition would unlock the phone when your eyes are closed.The concern was that anyone could unlock your Pixel 4, even when you're asleep or unconscious, without you knowing. It could even be unlocked after death.Advertisement
Google confirmed on Sunday that it's adding an option to the Pixel 4's facial recognition that will require an owner's eyes to be open to unlock the phone. The option will be included in a software update "in the coming months," Google told Business Insider.
The Pixel 4 won't land in people's hands or store shelves until October 24, seemingly before Google's update will be rolled out. For people concerned that their Pixel 4 can be unlocked with their eyes closed before the update is rolled out, Google suggests Pixel 4 owners "can activate a security feature that requires a pin, pattern or password for the next unlock."Get the latest Google stock price here.
NOW WATCH: Watch Google's Pixel 4 event in 12 minutes
- Odisha man arrested for manufacturing fake Covid-19 vaccine
- J&J Covid vaccine produces strong immune response in early trials
- PM Modi at UNGA: 'How long will India be kept out of decision-making structures of UN'
- China says WHO gave support for Covid vaccine emergency use
- WHO warns death toll may hit 2mn even with vaccine