Google cracks down on annoying ads in games, to enforce stricter guidelines from September 30
Effective from September 30, developers cannot show full-screen ads of all formats (video,
"Ads that appear during game play at the beginning of a level or during the beginning of a content segment are not allowed and full-screen video interstitial ads that appear before an app's loading screen (splash screen) are not allowed," Google said in its developer policy update.
Such ads are unexpected for users, as they expect to begin a game or engage in content instead.
Full screen ads of all formats that are not "closeable after 15 seconds are not allowed", said Google.
"Opt-in full screen interstitials or full screen interstitials that do not interrupt users in their actions (for example, after the score screen in a game app) may persist more than 15 seconds," said Google.
This policy does not apply to rewarded ads, monetisation and advertising that does not interfere with normal app use or game play.
Effective from November 1, all
"Apps must not facilitate or create workarounds to bypass the Flag_Secure settings in other apps," the company said.
Flag_Secure is a display flag declared in an app's code to indicate that its user interface (UI) contains sensitive data intended to be limited to a secure surface while using the app.
AdvertisementGoogle will not allow apps that mislead users by impersonating someone else (another developer, company, entity) or another app from August 31.
"Don't imply that your app is related to or authorised by someone that it isn't. Be careful not to use app icons, descriptions, titles, or in-app elements that could mislead users about your app's relationship to someone else or another app," said Google.
Effective from September 30, if developers sell subscriptions in apps, they must ensure that the apps clearly disclose how a user can manage or cancel their subscription.
"You must also include in your app access to an easy-to-use, online method to cancel the subscription," the company said.
SEE ALSO :
Top gainers Tata Steel & Bajaj Finserv rallies over 15% each this week
Becoming a smart cloud investor: Managing hidden egress costs
Popular on BI
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- Mark Zuckerberg just ushered in a new era of tech, where profitability and efficiency trump perks and culture
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- Leasing of industrial, logistics space highest in NCR in 2022 across top 8 cities: CBRE
- BYJU's to miss March 2023 deadline for group level profitability, results delayed again
- Dedicate Mumbai coastal road to Lata Didi, urges Mangeshkar family
- Adani Transmission reports 78% rise in Q3 net profit to ₹475 crore on one-time income
- Young boy builds an online kabadiwala biz after being inspired by his uncle's scrapyard 'heaven'