Google's billionaire cofounders Sergey Brin and Larry Page dropped a surprise visit on a PhD student who sits in Page's old office at Stanford
James Leynse/Corbis via Getty Images
- Google cofounders Larry Page and Sergey Brin paid a surprise visit to a Stanford PhD student on Friday night.
- The student occupies what used to be Page's old office when he was doing his own PhD at Stanford, where he met Brin in 1995.
- The tech billionaires told the student they were taking a "trip down memory lane" after stepping down from their roles at Google's parent company Alphabet.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A PhD student at Stanford got a big surprise on Friday night.Jacob Ritchie is currently doing a PhD in computer science at Stanford University. He tweeted a picture on Friday night showing that Google cofounders Larry Page and Sergey Brin had dropped by his office.Advertisement
"Larry and Sergey were visiting Stanford to 'take a trip down memory lane' after stepping down on Tuesday from their roles at Google and Alphabet," Ritchie said in a follow-up tweet.
Page and Brin met in 1995 while both doing computer science PhDs at Stanford, and went on to found Google in 1998. The pair announced they were stepping down from their roles at Google's parent company, Alphabet, this month and remain two of the richest people on the planet.As it happens, Ritchie now occupies what used to be Page's office, and the pair apparently knocked on his door while he was working late "on the off chance that there was someone inside."
According to Ritchie, Page at the time got the office after Brin "illicitly" gave him the master key to the building early, thereby allowing him to choose the best desk.Ritchie tweeted that the surprise visit was "an incredibly surreal and amazing experience."Get the latest Google stock price here.Advertisement
One perk of being in the office late on a Friday is that sometimes you get surprise guests. pic.twitter.com/1rC08EmsoM- Jacob Ritchie (@jwkritchie) December 7, 2019
NOW WATCH: Tech that died this decade
- Hero Moto’s lost sales will take a toll on its earnings — profit likely to fall over 88% in the first quarter
- Kareena Kapoor Khan and Saif Ali Khan are expecting their second child
- Bombay High Court reserves verdict on pleas against TRAI's new tariff order
- Detain Bengaluru rioters' properties like Yogi Adityanath did, suggests Tejasvi Surya
- Best affordable smartwatches in India that work with Android and iOS