Here’s how to change WhatsApp number without losing chats
- You can follow the simple steps to change your number on
- The Change Number feature lets you notify your contacts in case of a change in number.
- At the end of the process, WhatsApp will prompt you to register the new number.
AdvertisementWe may have to change our contact number for various reasons, be it losing your old number, switching to a new service provider or moving to another country. While getting a new number will not affect most apps on your smartphone, changing the same on WhatsApp can be a little tricky. Earlier, you would have lost all your data and chats on WhatsApp while changing your number.
In 2017, WhatsApp released a new feature called Change Number that lets you migrate your old chats to the new
Here’s how you can use your WhatsApp number without losing chats.
Note that this process is valid when you change the number without changing your smartphone. If you change your smartphone along with the number, you will have to take a backup of your chats on your old phone, and then install WhatsApp on your new phone. Lastly, you will have to restore the chats on your new phone before following the below steps.
- Open WhatsApp and go to Settings.
- For Android users, the settings menu is at the top-right corner of the screen. On iOS, it is at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to Account and then select Change Number.
- You will see a screen that reads “Changing your phone number will migrate your account info, groups & settings.” Press the ‘Next’ button.
- Now, you will be asked to enter your old number and the new number.
- Tap ‘Next’ after entering your numbers.
- Here you will be asked whether you want your contacts to be notified about your new number. You can choose from the three options — All contacts, Contacts I have a chat with, or custom numbers. WhatsApp will notify the groups about the number change automatically.
- Tap ‘Done’ to complete the process.
- WhatsApp will then prompt you to register your new phone number. You will receive a six-digit code via SMS or a phone call to complete the registration process. Once completed, you can view and access your old chats as they were.
WhatsApp patches a severe vulnerability that could have exposed your private messages
Here’s how to fix Wi-Fi connection issues in Windows laptop
It’s been crazy following updates on Twitter — here’s all that happened in a week
Popular on BI
- Pathan, Liger, Godfather: Here’s a list of forthcoming movie releases that will decide the fate of the multiplexes
- Taj Mahal continues to lose its sheen due to pollution in the Yamuna and industrial emissions
- ICICI Bank market-cap hits ₹6 lakh crore as its stock rises to a record high
- Jio, Airtel could emerge stronger weakening Vodafone Idea further, say analysts
- Foreign investors pour over Rs 12,000 cr in Indian equity in last 10 days