How to factory reset your Chromebook computer, if you're selling it or a restart didn't solve your problem
- You can complete a factory reset on your Chromebook in a few simple steps.
- A factory reset is a pretty drastic step, but sometimes that's necessary to get your computer working properly, or to protect your data if you plan on selling your computer.
- Keep in mind that a factory reset will wipe out all of the information stored on your hard drive, including files and apps. So it's always a good idea to back up your data beforehand, if possible.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A factory reset can be a useful way to get your Chromebook back to a more functional state if something went wrong, like your profile or settings are messed up and a restart didn't fix the problem, or for providing security if you plan on selling your computer.
Sometimes, you might even see a message telling you to reset your Chromebook. Here's what you'll need to do to get it done:
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
How to factory reset a Chromebook computer
Before you get started, be aware that a factory reset will erase all of the information on your hard drive. That includes settings and apps as well as files.
So to make sure a factory reset is the right move, try restarting your computer, turning off your extensions, and resetting the hardware before moving on to a full factory reset.
Backing up your data is also a good idea, if possible, before moving forward. If you're still having issues after troubleshooting, here's how to do a factory reset:
1. Sign out of your account by clicking open the menu in the bottom-right corner of the screen and clicking "Sign Out."
2. Press "Ctrl" "Alt" "Shift" and "R" on your keyboard, and then select "Restart" - a box will appear on the screen.
3. Select "Powerwash" and then "Continue."
4. Follow the prompts and sign back into your account, then follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Chromebook again.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
Get the latest Google stock price here.
NOW WATCH: 8 weird robots NASA wants to send to space
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- Mark Zuckerberg just ushered in a new era of tech, where profitability and efficiency trump perks and culture
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- BYJU's to miss March 2023 deadline for group level profitability, results delayed again
- Dedicate Mumbai coastal road to Lata Didi, urges Mangeshkar family
- Adani Transmission reports 78% rise in Q3 net profit to ₹475 crore on one-time income
- Young boy builds an online kabadiwala biz after being inspired by his uncle's scrapyard 'heaven'
- India's share in global oil demand expected to rise to 11%, gas to 500%: PM