How viewership for Netflix's 'The Irishman' stacks up against its most-watched original movies
- Netflix's content chief Ted Sarandos said that "The Irishman" was watched by 26.4 million member households in its first week.
- He projected that the movie would be watched by 40 million households in its first 28 days of release.
- We compared its viewership to Netflix's most popular movies like "Bird Box" and "Murder Mystery."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
"The Irishman" is off to a solid start in viewership, according to Netflix.
Netflix's content chief, Ted Sarandos, said during the UBS Global TMT Conference on Tuesday that the Martin Scorsese-directed crime epic was watched by 26.4 million member households in its first week. He added that it's projected to be watched by 40 million households after its first 28 days of release.
That's fewer households than Netflix's "Tall Girl," which it has said was viewed by 41 million households in its first month, and just half of the households that watched its biggest release, "Bird Box," in that same amount of time.
But more people have certainly watched "The Irishman" on Netflix than would have if it was confined to a theatrical release, though we don't know how many viewers actually finished the movie.
Netflix counts a view if an account completes at least 70% of a movie's runtime, meaning 26.4 million people have watched at least 2 and a half hours of "The Irishman's" three-and-a-half-hour runtime.
We compared "The Irishman" viewership to what Netflix has said are its most popular movies after their first month of release below:
"The Irishman" — 26.4 million (after a week)
Netflix content chief Ted Sarnados projects "The Irishman" will be watched 40 million accounts after 28 days.
"Tall Girl" — 41 million
"The Perfect Date" — 48 million
"Triple Frontier" — 52 million
"Murder Mystery" — 73 million
"Bird Box" — 80 million
- Discover what's new in iOS 17: Your ultimate guide to the latest features
- Hyderabad-based ethnic retailer Sai Silks Kalamandir IPO subscribed 4.4x
- After JP Morgan, Indian bonds set to enter other global bond indices; capital raising for infra push to get a boost
- 10 calcium-rich foods to ward Off calcium deficiency
- Amazon introduces next-gen of Echo smart devices with new-age AI