WazirX launches NFT marketplace for Indian artists and creators
- Indian crypto exchange
WazirXhas announced a NFT marketplacefor Indian artists.
- It is one of the first marketplaces for NFTs in India.
- A NFT is a digital asset and it can be in the form of a picture, audio, video or even a tweet.
The NFT marketplace from WazirX is being spearheaded by Sandesh B Suvarna, a Canada-based entrepreneur. Film actor Vishakha Singh has also joined the firm as an advisor.
Speaking about the launch of its NFT marketplace, Nischal Shetty, founder of WazirX, said, “Both digital creators and collectors stand to benefit from the
What is a non-fungible token (NFT)?
A non-fungible token (NFT) is a one-of-its kind digital asset that can be in the form of art pieces, audio files, videos, programs, digital goods and even tweets. What makes NFT unique is that it is non-fungible in nature, meaning that it cannot be replaced by another identical item and its copies cannot be created after its purchase.
“Like the status of cryptocurrencies and Blockchain, even the non-fungible tokens that are NFTs are not recognised under any of the regulations in India. Having said that since the nature of NFTs is different from cryptocurrencies, there does not seem to be any specific restriction on usage of NFTs,” said Rashmi Deshpande, partner at law firm Khaitan & Co.
“Under the given legal structure, NFTs can at the most, be treated as a digital commodity and have taxation implications as any other asset. One needs to be clear that since NFTs are not competing with fiat currency in any possible way, there is no major issue on their usage in India as of now,” Deshpande explained.
Twitter founder Jack Dorsey sold his first tweet on the platform for $2.9 million in an NFT-based transaction last month.
The launch of the WazirX NFT marketplace will allow
What will be the charge for auctioning on the WazirX NFT marketplace?
WazirX has said that it will not charge its customers for creating and listing NFTs on its platform. However, a gas fee has to be paid to miners as NFT uses blockchains that allow smart contracts. A gas fee is the cost of the computational power used to verify the transaction.
WazirX has added that it is working on removing this cost to make NFT minting more attractive for creators.
The man who bought Beeple’s $69 million NFT reveals his identity to show the equalising power of crypto — but is caught in a controversy himself
Snoop Dogg and Lionel Richie jump in on NFT craze as Crypto.com launches a token marketplace
NFT-related stocks jump as investors look to break into the red-hot digital art market
Popular on BI
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max vs M1: Here’s what Apple improved with its new custom chips
- SUN Mobility raises $50 million from energy giant Vitol
- Reliance Jio cements its lead over Airtel in both total as well as active subscribers
- Realme GT Neo 2 vs OnePlus Nord 2: Price, specs and features compared
- Titan, Kalyan Jewellers and other jewellery stocks rally in last one month on high bullion prices
- This Motilal Oswal-backed startup is planning to issue a million credit-based cards in the next 150 days relying on its $2 billion loan book