Instagram is reportedly getting rid of the feature that let you see what everyone else was liking
- Instagram is discontinuing its Following Activity tab, a feature that let people easily see which posts their friends and coworkers were liking on the platform, according to a report from BuzzFeed News.
- The feature wasn't used frequently by most people, Vishal Shah, Instagram's head of product, told Buzzfeed News.
- An Instagram update that discontinues the feature will reportedly roll out later this week.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Starting this week, it will be harder to stalk people's activity on Instagram.Instagram is discontinuing a feature called Following Activity that showed people's likes, comments, and follows in a separate tab, according to a report from BuzzFeed News' Katie Notopoulos.Advertisement
The Following Activity tab on Instagram showed users which posts their friends were liking, and could previously be accessed by clicking on the heart icon on the app's bottom menu bar. The tab will vanish from the app with an update later this week, Vishal Shah, Instagram's head of product, told Buzzfeed News.
"People didn't always know that their activity is surfacing," Shah told Buzzfeed News. "So you have a case where it's not serving the use case you built it for, but it's also causing people to be surprised when their activity is showing up."Instagram did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment on the change.Read more: Instagram has created an app for instant messaging with people on your Close Friends list in an attempt to best SnapchatAdvertisement
The app has seemingly already begun removing the feature for test groups of users, which some Twitter and Reddit users noted as early as September.
Meanwhile, Instagram is rolling out new features in other realms. Its separate messaging app, Threads, which mimics Snapchat's format of quick image-based messaging, launched last week.Advertisement
- Founder of S African Hindu political party succumbs to COVID-19
- US House Speaker tests positive for coronavirus
- Assam's COVID-19 tally rises to 11,736 with 735 fresh cases
- Kerala govt makes compulsory for public to follow COVID-19 norms till 2021
- Jharkhand reports 53 new cases of COVID-19, 1 more death