EXCLUSIVE: Instagram Reels is being quietly tested in India just days after the TikTok ban
Instagram Reelsis currently being tested in India.
Instagram Reels lets users record 15-second videos with music and audio clips and add them to their stories. The feature seems eerily similar to TikTok, although more details on Reels is awaited.
Interestingly, Facebook and Instagram had recently partnered with Indian music label Saregama to give users access to Saregama’s library for Instagram music.
AdvertisementSources confirmed that certain users have started receiving the update from Instagram which includes Reels.
"We're planning to start testing an updated version of Reels in more countries. Reels is a fun, creative way for people to both express themselves and be entertained. We're excited to bring this new version to more of our global community. No further plans to share on launch date or countries for now,” a Facebook spokesperson told Business Insider.
Facebook had recently shut down its TikTok clone app Lasso and was concentrating on ‘Reels’ to capture markets. Reels had earlier launched in France and Germany and was reportedly being tested in Brazil as well.
The Indian government had recently banned TikTok along with 58 other Chinese apps. The ban on TikTok left a huge market opportunity for Indian apps to fill up the space for the thousands of content creators. Indian apps like Chingari, Roposo, Khabri, Bolo Indya have taken over the space and are witnessing a huge surge in traffic. The launch of Instagram Reels to the already existing millions of users of Instagram in India could be a threat to the rising users of the Indian apps.
EXCLUSIVE: Chingari app is in talks with a global VC firm after the TikTok rival gets lit with over 10 million downloads
Facebook’s TikTok-clone Lasso is shutting down as Zuckerberg gears up to launch Instagram Reels
Reliance Jio gets ₹1894.5 crore from Intel Capital – the 12th investment in 11 weeks
Popular on BI
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Best compact entry-level bluetooth speakers with mic
- Twitter study reveals its algorithms amplify political tweets from right-leaning users
- After Facebook, Google is looking to invest in Meesho
- Intel CEO says global chip shortage will not end before 2023
- October 1-20 cumulative rainfall 39% more than normal, says IMD