iPhone with under-screen Touch ID could take even longer than expected
- Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts Apple will launch under-screen Touch ID on iPhones in 2023.
- It was earlier predicted that this technology would debut in 2022.
- Kuo also shared an update on the possible launch date of the first foldable
AdvertisementApple is known to take its time in adding new features and technology to iPhones that are already common with Android phones. It was only with the iPhone 13 that Apple finally introduced displays with a 120Hz refresh rate. As for another much-anticipated technology ‘under-screen Touch ID’ we might have to wait until 2023.
According to research notes of analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, iPhones with under-screen Touch ID are expected to release in 2023, MacRumors reported. Kuo had earlier predicted that Apple will launch the first iPhones with under-screen Touch ID in 2022 but citing “slower than expected progress with development”, the debut is now moved to 2023. Apple currently uses Face ID as the only biometric authentication for iPhones starting from the iPhone X. The Touch ID button is still used in the newer iPad models.
There are no details though on which iPhone models the under-screen Touch ID will be available. Apple usually reserves some features for the high-end Pro and Pro Max models. Touch ID is also expected to be added as another way of unlocking iPhones along with Face ID. This feature could have actually been very useful during the pandemic as it’s not convenient to always remove your mask to unlock your iPhone. Apple did make it slightly easier last year to unlock your iPhone with a mask on but you still need an Apple Watch for that.
Foldable iPhone launch
Kuo also shared an update on the first foldable iPhone launch. Apple is now expected to launch its first foldable iPhone in 2024. This launch timeline has also been moved up a year as it was earlier predicted to take place in 2023.
Report suggests Apple to launch new AirPods Pro, redesigned iPad Pro in 2022
Apple Watch Series 7 specifications leaked through an alleged internal document
Popular on BI
- Mehmet Oz says he was 'exhausted' when he filmed viral 'Wegner's' gaffe, adding it's not a big deal because 'I've gotten my kids' names wrong as well'
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Shimla stipulated 75 ponds Amrit Sarovar for water conservation to mark Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav
- Mumbai breathes its cleanest air ever for the second time this monsoon
- Reliance Jio, Voda step up hiring as 5G related job postings up 65%
- Rupee gains 22 paise against the dollar as crude prices ease, FPIs come back
- Cabinet clears proposal to raise ECLGS corpus to Rs 5 lakh cr for tourism and hospitality sector