Jack Dorsey's Square agreed to buy Afterpay, which has a 'buy now, pay later' service, for $29 billion in stock
Squareannounced Sunday it is acquiring the Australian company Afterpayfor $29 billion in stock.
- Afterpay offers a buy now, pay later service, which is becoming increasingly common online.
- The payment app Square is partly owned by Twitter CEO
The payment app Square agreed to buy the Australian company Afterpay for $29 billion in stock, the company announced Sunday.
Afterpay, which offers a "buy now, pay later" service, launched in the US in 2018. Buy now, pay later models are becoming increasingly common online, with Apple reportedly working on a service to add to its digital wallet, Apple Pay, Insider's Shannen Balogh reported.
Square said that Afterpay's buy now, pay later service would be used with its Seller and Cash app products. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey founded Square and continues to hold a large stake in the company. He is also its CEO.
Afterpay allows consumers to make a purchase in four payments that are to be paid every two weeks. The user pays 25% upfront and can take the product home immediately. The follow-up payments are automatically charged and the user pays a fee if they are unable to make a payment, in which case their account is locked until their balance is paid off.
"Square and Afterpay have a shared purpose," Dorsey said in a statement. "We built our business to make the financial system more fair, accessible, and inclusive, and Afterpay has built a trusted brand aligned with those principles."
Dorsey also recently announced Square is creating a new business aimed at helping bitcoin developers create financial services products.
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022