Meta brings updated 3D avatars across Facebook, Messenger and Instagram — here’s how to use them
- Instagram stories and DMs get 3D avatar updates.
Metahas also added new facial shapes for people with disabilities.
- Here’s how to create and use 3D
avatarsacross Meta platforms.
AdvertisementTech giant Meta has rolled out
This update has come after five months since Meta has rolled out 3D avatars for Instagram in Canada, the United States, and Mexico. The 3D avatars were first rolled on Facebook back in 2020.
This new update also includes new facial shapes and assistive devices for people with disabilities such as cochlear implants and hearing aids for both ears in different colours. Stickers on Facebook, Instagram DMs and Messenger will also include these elements.
The update is said to bring subtle adjustments to certain facial shapes bringing more customisation options to the avatars.
Here’s how you can use avatars across all Meta owned platforms
How to create avatars for Facebook
- Make sure the Facebook app is updated to its latest version.
- Open Facebook App, at the right bottom of your screen you will see 3 straight lines.
- Tap on 3 straight lines to open the main menu.
- In the main menu scroll down and tap on ‘See more’.
- You will see ‘Avatars’, once you click on Avatars, app will take you through the process of personalization of avatars.
How to create a 3D avatar on Instagram
- Make sure Instagram is updated to its latest version.
- Open your profile and click on the top-right corner to pop up Settings.
- Tap on ‘Settings’ > ‘Account’.
- Scroll down until you see ‘Avatar’.
- Just follow the given instructions to create your 3D avatar.
3D avatars by Meta are functional in a basic sense where users can customize them with items like clothes and other elements to be more aligned with their virtual identity. With every new update, users can use their 3D avatar to send messages and reactions.
With the recent update, Manish Chopra, Director and Head Partnerships at Meta India said, “Representations in the metaverse should reflect the diversity of the real world. Avatars are just the first step toward enabling everyone to express themselves in their unique ways. When you create your avatar you can choose the right facial features, body types, clothing styles, and more to create your virtual self.”
Google’s new research on digital wellbeing needs your data to dig deeper into user behavior and reduce the risks of smartphone addiction
Nothing Phone (1) design and features revealed by founder Carl Pei ahead of the launch
Popular on BI
- India's foreign exchange reserves fall to $573 bn
- India's retail inflation dropped below 7% in July for the first time in four months
- Samsung announces Galaxy Watch5 Series with sleep tracking and IR temperature sensor
- India's exports rose to $36 billion in July; trade deficit almost triples
- Rupee, bond yield ends almost flat ahead of the long weekend