Netflix will reportedly add video games on its platform ‘within the next year’
Netflixis looking to expand into video gameson its streaming platform.
- Mike Verdu, a former EA and Facebook executive, will lead this development.
- Video games will be available within the next year or so.
AdvertisementThe subscription-based streaming platform, Netflix, is planning to add to its categories by offering video games to its users alongside films and TV series. According to Bloomberg, it has hired a formed Electronic Arts (EA) and Facebook executive to lead this development.
Netflix is likely to offer games as a separate category much like documentaries and other genres. A job listing on Netflix suggests that the company could develop entirely new interactive games as it is looking for a product innovative director to execute the task.
As per the report, Mike Verdu, a former EA executive and Facebook VP, will take charge as vice president of Netflix and lead the game development segment. At Facebook, he was responsible for bringing games and other content to Oculus platforms.
According to the report, the idea is to offer video games on Netflix within the next year or so. Netflix is looking to build its team for the development of games on its platform in the coming months.
With video games into its fray, Netflix will go ahead of its competitors like Disney Hotstar, Amazon Prime and others. With this new development, Netflix might be targeting more subscribers as it added fewer subscribers than expected in the recently reported quarter.
As per Bloomberg, the addition of games is a natural extension of Netflix’s content strategy, allowing it to mine intellectual property from popular shows like ‘Stranger Things.’ The company may start by offering a few games based on its original content. Though we’re not sure how the company plans to monetize the games, it will help engage its subscribers, add a new avenue and have wider entertainment. The details on the company’s plans are still scarce as it seems to be in the early stages of development. We hope to have more details on its subscription model, price and availability in the near future.
Best Netflix plan — Here’s how to pick the right plan for yourself
How to change your Netflix password, even if you don't know your current one
Popular on BI
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- 'Get your boy Elon in line:' Former NASA official says she was ridiculed for supporting SpaceX in new memoir
- India is betting on casinos, online games and horse races to fill its coffers
- Best voltage stabilizers for home in India
- Asus teases the ROG Phone 6 gaming phone — confirmed to feature IPX4 splash-resistance
- Supercomputers are faster and more powerful — but need to be more energy-efficient
- Best hair removal cream for women in India
- Sensex, Nifty maintain 3-day streak, rally by nearly 1%