Samsung's Galaxy S10e was one of the best phones of 2019 - and it sounds like the sequel is going to be even better in 2 critical ways
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
- Samsung's Galaxy S11e, the rumored follow-up to the Galaxy S10e, will reportedly have a triple lens camera and a larger screen, according to leaks published by Pricebaba and Onleaks.
- The Galaxy S10e, which was about $150 cheaper than the S10 when it launched in February, has a smaller screen than the S10. It also has just two cameras compared to the S10's three cameras, and lacks the S10's in-screen fingerprint scanner.
- But the new leak suggests that the Galaxy S11e may share more similarities with Samsung's next flagship smartphone.
- That could be increasingly important for Samsung as rivals like Apple and Google have released less expensive smartphones in recent months.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
When I tried Samsung's smaller and less expensive Galaxy S10e earlier this year - the more affordable alternative to the $900 Galaxy S10 flagship - I came away impressed with its eye-catching design and lower price point.
As smartphones have become larger and more expensive than ever, I appreciated Samsung's decision to release a more compact option at a relatively affordable price that didn't skimp on important features like screen quality or battery life. It came at the expense of new features found on the flagship Galaxy S10, like an in-screen fingerprint sensor and a triple-lens camera, but those features didn't matter much to me.
Now, it sounds like the follow-up to that device may bring some important upgrades that could further close the gap between Samsung's smaller, budget-friendly phone and its next flagship.
The successor to the Galaxy S10e, which is expected to be called the Galaxy S11e, will reportedly have three rear-facing cameras and a larger, curved screen, among other improvements. That's according to leaked product renderings recently published by Pricebaba and Onleaks, the latter of which is operated by serial leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer, who has posted credible information about upcoming gadgets in the past.
That would signal an upgrade from the Galaxy S10e, which has just two rear-facing cameras. The pricier Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+ have a third 12-megapixel telephoto camera in addition to those two lenses, so it's possible that the S11e will get this zoom lens as well.
Hollis Johnson/Business Insider
The Galaxy S11e will also reportedly have a screen that measures between 6.2 and 6.3 inches diagonally - significantly larger larger than the current 5.8-inch Galaxy S10e. The placement of the "Infinity-O" hole-punch-like cutout for the camera may also be centered on the S11e, unlike the S10e which has its camera located near the corner of the display.
Based on the leaked renders published by Onleaks and Pricebaba, it looks like the Galaxy S11e won't have a headphone jack - one of the features that makes the S10e stand out against pricier rivals today.
If the renderings turn out to be accurate, we can expect the Galaxy S11e to heavily resemble the Galaxy S11. Onleaks and tech blog 91mobiles recently published images claiming to depict the Galaxy S11, and it looks nearly identical to the S11e renderings except for its larger screen.
Taken together, the leak suggests that Samsung intends to port some of the features found on its pricier flagship to its more portable and more affordable sibling. The big question, however, is whether the more sophisticated camera and larger screen will drive up the price.
The $750 Galaxy S10e seemed like a bargain alongside the Galaxy S10, which was $900 when it launched in February. But now that Google and Apple have since released new phones at even lower prices, such as the $700 iPhone 11 and $400 Pixel 3a, Samsung's Galaxy S11e is bound to have much more competition.
Samsung usually announces its new Galaxy S smartphones in February around the same time as the Mobile World Congress convention in Barcelona. A Samsung representative told Business Insider that the company does not provide comment on rumors or speculation.
Check out the video below from Pricebaba and Onleaks to see the reported renderings of the Galaxy S11e.
- Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
- Elon Musk pulled his 'last remaining house' off the market after vowing last year to get rid of nearly all his possessions
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Salesforce Ventures backs Indian payments giant RazorPay as it looks to expand further outside India
- OnePlus sends legal notice to lawyer who alleged Nord 2 explosion — asks him to remove tweets and offer an apology
- iPhone with under-screen Touch ID could take even longer than expected
- OnePlus 2.0: OxygenOS and ColorOS to merge into a unified OS starting 2022
- Here’s what experts have to say about Cadbury Dairy Milk’s latest ad that has taken the internet by storm