Scientists say this new smartphone sensor can detect when someone consumes marijuana
smartphone sensormight be able to determine whether someone is intoxicated after consuming marijuana.
- As per a study, the
smartphonesensor had 90 per cent accuracy to identify episodes of cannabisintoxication.
- For the study, the researchers analysed daily data collected from young adults who reported cannabis use at least twice per week.
The study, which evaluated the feasibility of using smartphone sensor data to identify episodes of cannabis intoxication in the natural environment, a combination of time features (tracking the time of day and day of the week) and smartphone sensor data had a 90 per cent rate of accuracy.
"Using the sensors in a person's phone, we might be able to detect when a person might be experiencing cannabis intoxication and deliver a brief intervention when and where it might have the most impact to reduce cannabis-related harm," said researcher Tammy Chung from Rutgers University.
AdvertisementFor the study, published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Dependence, the researchers analysed daily data collected from young adults who reported cannabis use at least twice per week.
They examined phone surveys, self-initiated reports of cannabis use, and continuous phone sensor data to determine the importance of time of day and day of the week in detecting use and identified which phone sensors are most useful in detecting self-reported cannabis intoxication.
They found that time of day and day of the week had 60 per cent accuracy in detecting self-reporting of cannabis intoxication and the combination of time features and smartphone sensor data had 90 per cent accuracy in detecting cannabis intoxication.
Cannabis intoxication has been associated with slowed response time, affecting performance at work or school or impairing driving behaviour leading to injuries or fatalities.
Existing detection measures, such as blood, urine or saliva tests, have limitations as indicators of cannabis intoxication and cannabis-related impairment in daily life.
OnePlus blames voltage fluctuation after a user reports Nord 2 charger explosion
Elon Musk and Grimes have broken up after 3 years of dating
AdvertisementHow to make Tab Groups in Safari on your iPhone with iOS 15 or Mac with Safari 15, and keep your tabs organized
Popular on BI
- 'Harry Potter' had a chance to represent Indian kids like me, but all we got were Parvati and Padma Patil's atrocious Yule Ball outfits
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- After Facebook, Google is looking to invest in Meesho
- Intel CEO says global chip shortage will not end before 2023
- October 1-20 cumulative rainfall 39% more than normal, says IMD
- Petrol and diesel prices hiked by 35 paise for the third consecutive day across the country
- As it unveils its most luxurious boutique multiplex yet in Mumbai, PVR is confident of a healthy revival with the opening up of theatres in Maharashtra