SpaceX's CFO reportedly said the company makes 5,000 Starlink dishes a week, lagging behind preorders
SpaceXCFO Bret Johnsen said the company makes 5,000 Starlinkuser dishes weekly, per Space News.
- This lags behind orders: Starlink, the satellite
internetservice, had 500,000 pre-orders as of May.
- SpaceX wants to increase production in the next few months, Johnsen said.
SpaceX's chief financial officer says the aero
The company has at least 400,000 preorders to fulfill, and has previously warned that the global chip shortage was slowing production of the terminals, which are the dishes that connect to the Starlink internet satellites in orbit.
Bret Johnsen said in a panel discussion during the Satellite 2021 conference on Tuesday that SpaceX would increase the current production of 5,000 Starlink dishes per week to "multiples of that" in the coming months, Space News reporter Jeff Foust tweeted. Other people watching the conference tweeted the same figure.
Global supply chain problems had hit SpaceX's production line, Johnsen said, per Space News.
Starlink's satellite internet service had 500,000 pre-orders between October 2020 and May 2021, Siva Bharadvaj, a SpaceX space operations engineer, said during a broadcast of SpaceX's launch of Starlink satellites in May. The company has not released updated figures since.
SpaceX has shipped about 100,000 terminals, CEO
At a rate of 5,000 terminals a week, it would take SpaceX around a year and a half to make 400,000 user terminals.
SpaceX didn't immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
People who have paid $100 deposits for Starlink told Insider that they were frustrated because they'd waited up to seven months to receive the service, and couldn't reach Starlink for updates on their arrival dates.
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- Meet the newest employee at Elon Musk's SpaceX. He's 14.
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Srinagar
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar