That online menu you read by scanning a QR code might still be tracking you, and privacy experts are worried
- Some digital menus are tracking your purchase history and personal data, NYT reported on Monday.
- Offline behavior such as eating out with friends can be tracked online, worrying privacy experts.
- QR codes can help small businesses better understand customer behavior and cut labor costs.
At many restaurants, a physical menu might be considered a bit of a vintage find.
Half of full-service restaurants in the US now use scannable QR codes, according to the National Restaurant Association. The contactless technology popularized during the pandemic allows customers to pull up digital menus on their phones and order without a server - a convenience that privacy experts say comes with a potential downside.
The New York Times reported on Monday that
Databases created from the data can then be used for marketing promos such as personalized discounts or recommendations, according to the Times.
Activities valued for their intrinsically offline nature - such as eating out or grabbing drinks with friends - are now becoming "part of the online advertising empire," Jay Stanely, a senior policy analyst at the ACLU told the Times.
Technology has helped minimize
"There have been disease outbreaks throughout human history, but never one that has taken place in the era of high-tech tracking tools and 'big data,'" Stanley wrote on the ACLU website last May.
Perhaps of utmost importance to restaurant owners is the money QR codes can save businesses hit hard during the pandemic. According to Cheqout, a QR ordering and payment system, the digital menus can help save up to 50% on labor costs, the Times reported.
While convenient and low cost, some service workers are beginning to fear that the black-and-white squares could eventually replace their jobs.
- LinkedIn is the most expensive digital advertising platform but is it worth it?
- ITC, Bharti Airtel, Indian Oil Corp among stocks to watch out for on May 18
- Here’s how you can check Prudent Corporate IPO’s allotment status, GMP and more
- Ethos IPO opens today — check out important details related to the IPO
- Bharti Airtel's revenues soar by 22% year on year, net profit 165% in Q4FY22