The Apple stock just turned 40 – $22 invested in 1980 is worth $15,200 today
- Apple went public in 1980, offering 4.6 million shares at $22 each.
- Apple’s current market cap stands at $1.2 trillion, increasing by 69,000% since it went public.
- An investment of $22 in Apple in 1980 is now worth $15,200.
On its debut, Apple’s share price surged by 32% to end up at $29 per share. It had floated 4.6 million shares at $22 per share. So, if you had invested in one share of Apple at $22 in 1980, you would have had 56 shares now. Your $22 investment would have grown to $15,200 today. That is a whopping return of 69,000% over the course of the past 29 years.
That being said, Apple’s journey so far has not been smooth. As is the case with every company, Apple has had its share of ups and downs. As the
1 April, 1976 – Apple is founded
1977 – Apple II is launched
1980 – Apple goes public
1984 – The Macintosh computer is launched
1985 – Steve Jobs gets ousted from Apple
1987 – Apple announces its first stock split
1996 – Apple acquires NeXT and brings Jobs back
1997 – Arch-rival Microsoft infuses $150 million into Apple, Jobs becomes the CEO
1998 – The first iMac is unveiled
2000 – Apple announces its second stock split
2001 – The iPod is launched
2005 – Apple announces its third stock split
2007 – The iPhone is launched
2010 – The iPad is launched
April, 2011 – Apple sues Samsung for infringing on its intellectual property
August, 2011 – Tim Cook takes over as Apple CEO
2014 – Apple Watch and another stock split
2018 – Apple hits $1 trillion market cap
Popular on BI
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather
- Meta expanding child safety measures as scrutiny mounts