The company that makes gifs says they're 'cringe' and 'out of fashion'
- Giphy said young users think gifs are "for boomers", "cringe", and "out of fashion".
- The gif database made the comments in filings with the UK's competition watchdog.
Giphy has taken aim at its own product by calling it "out of fashion" and claiming that young users think gifs are "for boomers" and "cringe."
Giphy, which lets users upload animated images and videos, argued that content creators are "finding less value" in gifs and said there had been fewer uploads in the past two years.
"There are indications of an overall decline in gif use," said in its filings with the UK competition watchdog in August, because of a "general waning of user and content partner interest in gifs."
The gif database made the remarks about the waning popularity in filings with the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), which is attempting to block Meta's $400 million takeover of the company.
Giphy company also claimed it had "no meaningful revenue-generating business" and that it would go hand-in-hand with a buyer with its own user base that can monetize gif's.
The CMA started examining Meta's deal to buy Giphy a month after the takeover was revealed in June 2020. It then ordered Meta to sell the company in November 2021 because a merger would reduce competition between social media platforms.
The decision is being appealed by Giphy, which insists that only Meta would acquire the company in order for the deal to go ahead.
Other companies including Amazon, Apple, Snap and Twitter showed interest in Giphy, the filings say, but that the discussions did not move "beyond initial contacts."
Giphy did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala