The first iPhone changed the world forever - see how Apple's iconic smartphone evolved over the past decade
- The original iPhone set the stage for the modern smartphone, ushering in an era in which pocket-sized touchscreen computers are the norm.
- Over the past 10 years, Apple's iPhone evolved from a mobile device capable of running basic apps to a powerful computer with professional-grade cameras.
- Here's a look at how the iPhone has changed since its launch in 2007.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
When Apple co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the original iPhone in 2007, he called it "an iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator," all in one. Although Jobs knew that the iPhone would change the way we communicate and access the internet, perhaps even he couldn't have predicted exactly how impactful it would be.The first iPhone laid the foundation for the modern smartphone, ushering in the era in which pocket-sized computers that can answer any question with the push of a button became the norm.Advertisement
Now, everything from the way we work, communicate, shop, travel, manage our finances, and experience entertainment can be done through a smartphone. More than 5 billion people around the world use mobile services, according to estimates from GSMA Intelligence. In 2019, consumers in the United States will spend more time on their mobile devices than they do watching TV, according to eMarketer.
Here's a look at how the iPhone, which is now more than a decade old, has evolved over the years.
The original iPhone (2007)
iPhone 3G (2008)Advertisement
iPhone 3GS (2009)
iPhone 4 (2010)Advertisement
iPhone 4S (2011)
iPhone 5 (2012)Advertisement
iPhone 5S (2013)
iPhone 5C (2013)Advertisement
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus (2014)
iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus (2015)Advertisement
iPhone SE (2016)
iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus (2016)Advertisement
iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus (2017)
iPhone X (2017)Advertisement
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max (2018)
iPhone XR (2018)Advertisement
iPhone 11 (2019)
iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max (2019)Advertisement
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart
- 30 COVID vaccine candidates being developed: Health Ministry