The Iowa Democratic caucuses were plagued by tech problems that went far beyond issues with an app
- Tech problems played a role throughout the botched Democratic primary caucus in Iowa on February 3.
- A smartphone app developed specifically for registering results and largely untested before being deployed, encountered major hitches during the caucus.
- But beyond the app, the Iowa Democratic caucus was plagued by a various tech issues, including an inability to operate Google Sheets and two-factor authorization tripping up counts, the New York Times reports.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
One week later, and the first Democratic primary election of 2020 remains undecided.Sen. Bernie Sanders and Mayor Pete Buttigieg are both leading the pack, but issues with the Iowa caucus results persist.Advertisement
Those issues are due in part to major tech issues, including a coding issue with an app that was developed explicitly for reporting caucus results. But a new report in the New York Times on Monday reveals that Iowa's Democratic caucus had myriad tech issues.
Among them: the state party's chief financial officer, Melissa Watson, "did not know how to operate a Google spreadsheet application used to input data," the Times report says. Though it's not spelled out, the application in question is likely Google Sheets - Google's version of Microsoft Excel.Watson didn't respond to a request for comment as of publishing.
Since they didn't have their smartphones, the report says, "volunteers resorted to passing around a spare iPad" to get logged in.
The tech issues were far from the only problems with the Iowa Democratic caucus, but they're representative of the bigger issues plaguing Democrats leading into the 2020 US Presidential election.
- Airtel deploys Nokia's open Cloud-based VoLTE network
- DRDO to set up research cell at IIT Hyderabad
- Rupee pares initial gains, settles 2 paise down at 74.68 against US dollar
- ShareChat's TikTok rival Moj crosses 5mn downloads on Google Play
- Manoj Bajpayee to narrate Discovery Plus docu 'COVID-19: India's War Against the Virus' in Hindi