The new flagship smartphones are all incredibly expensive, and it's a worrying trend that suggests 5G is only for those who can afford it
- Almost all top-spec Android smartphones of 2020 will come with 5G connectivity because the premium Qualcomm chip of 2020 supports 5G connectivity by default.
- Samsung's latest Galaxy S20 phones with 5G start at $1,000, and there's no cheaper version of the Galaxy S20 like there was with the Galaxy S10.
- The high price of Samsung's Galaxy S20 phones set a worrying precedent that the cost of entry for 5G is high, and it'll only be available to those who can afford it.
- 5G wireless plans are also more expensive, or are only available on the most expensive plans.
- Still, brand new generations of tech are often expensive at first, and prices come down when they flow into the mainstream. Let's hope the same goes for 5G.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Samsung's latest Galaxy S20 phones are among the first to run on the 5G Snapdragon 865 chip, and they're incredibly expensive. To be sure, smartphones in general have been getting pricier and pricier, but at least there's usually a less expensive alternative.Not this time with Samsung's Galaxy S20 lineup, and it's setting a worrying precedent that suggests 5G is only for those who can afford it. Here are the signs:
All of Samsung's latest Galaxy S20 phones support 5G, and the cheapest S20 you can buy starts at $1,000, whereas the Galaxy S10e from 2019 started at $750.
Yes, the Galaxy S10e was a slightly pared down version of the full-fat $900 Galaxy S10. But the point is that there's no cheaper "e" version of the 5G Galaxy S20.Advertisement
It's not a simple case of rising smartphone prices.
And most carriers charge more for 5G in their plans, too, or only include 5G in their pricier plans.Advertisement
With all that said, 5G technology will surely get cheaper over time, just like 4G LTE technology did. At least, I hope it does.
- Everybody in India must get Covid vaccine free, says Kejriwal
- Samsung now lets you buy up to four products in one single EMI as it seeks to boost sales this festive season
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise