Lockdown 4.0 tops Google’s search trends as people look for containment zones and ways to survive the coronavirus pandemic
- The term ‘
Lockdown4.0’ was the most searched item on Google in India during May.
- The monthly search requests for the term ‘coronavirus’ reduced by 50% during May.
- Users are searching for questions like how to make a mask and how to cut your own hair.
The Indian government had announced the first nationwide lockdown on March 24 to control the spread of the coronavirus. Lockdown 4.0 was announced on May 17 and fresh guidelines were issued for different areas. Google has revealed that search for the term ‘Lockdown 4.0’ spiked by 3,150% in May.
The second most searched term was ‘Eid Mubarak’, which increased by 2,650% during the same month. This was probably because people were searching for Eid greetings and images to share with their friends and family.
AdvertisementUsers were also on the hunt for different zones during the Coronavirus lockdown. Interest for the query ‘coronavirus lockdown zones Delhi’ increased by over 1,800% in May.
Queries for ‘coronavirus’ reduced by 50%
As other queries took precedence, the monthly search requests for the term ‘coronavirus’ reduced by 50% in May, according to Google. The term which was the third most searched item during April plummeted to the 12th position in May.
The absence of live cricket was visible as people searched for the coronavirus five times more than cricket. Normally, cricket is usually one of the most searched topics in India. This time around it has witnessed a decline as all matches have been postponed or cancelled due to the pandemic.
The top trending term related to the coronavirus was ‘vaccine’ which reached a record high during the month with an increase of 190%.
People turn to Google to survive the pandemic
As the Coronavirus pandemic is spreading, people have turned to Google to ask how to survive the pandemic. Some of the questions searched by users include – ‘What are the symptoms of Coronavirus’ and ‘Is headache a symptom of Coronavirus’.
AdvertisementUsers have also turned to Google to ask ‘how-to’ questions like – ‘How to make a mask’, ‘How to make hand sanitizer’ and ‘How to cut your own hair’.
Even though ‘coronavirus’ is no longer the top trending term on Google, the drop only seems to be result of queries getting more specific about how the pandemic is affecting daily lives.
Google search results prove that Indians are worried about the air quality and climate change
How to activate voice controls on your Android device, and make Google searches or open apps with your voice
How to use Google Search to get maximum cashback on mobile recharges
Popular on BI
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders