This gold-plated Nintendo Wii made for Queen Elizabeth II is selling on eBay, with a $300,000 asking price
- A 24-karat gold-plated
Nintendo Wiimade for Queen Elizabeth IIis selling on eBay.
- The Queen never played the console, which was made by a video game publisher as a publicity stunt.
- The seller says experts have valued it at $1 million, but he has set an asking price of $300,000.
A gold-plated Nintendo Wii game console custom-made for Queen Elizabeth II has gone on sale on eBay for $300,000.
THQ, a video game publisher that collapsed in 2013, made the 24-karat gold-plated console in 2009 and sent it to the Queen as a marketing stunt, the seller, Donny Fillerup, told CNN.
But the Queen's staff rejected the gift and sent it back, Fillerup said.
Fillerup, who collects consoles, bought the special-edition Wii in 2017. He would not tell CNN how much he paid for it.
He said that the console was valued at $1 million by experts but that he was happy with a lower price. Fillerup hopes to buy an apartment with the money from the sale.
"I want to be reasonable with buying a place for myself, and $300,000 (€250,000) is the price that I came up with. I don't NEED more," Fillerup said in an interview on his site Console Variations.
"Also, this gives more people the opportunity to buy it."
Fillerup said in the eBay listing that the console was in working condition.
He told Insider he would provide authentication to any buyer - including the console's serial number, documentation from a previous owner, and signatures from experts - before completing the purchase.
"I hope the system goes to a good home. Hopefully a museum, or someone who will take care of it as much as I did," Fillerup said in the interview with CNN.
Chris Bratt, a video game journalist and YouTuber, tracked down the console as part of his "People Make Games" series, in 2019, and found it in the hands of Fillerup.
Fillerup said the console would be the subject of a documentary to be released later this year.
- Reliance Retail’s new lifestyle store AZORTE goes high-tech with smart trial rooms, self-checkout kiosks
- Amazon’s 2022 Hardware Event — here’s what's new on Kindle, Echos, Fire TV Cube, and Halo Rise
- Jasprit Bumrah ruled out of T20 World Cup with back stress fracture: Report
- Meet the former Lieutenant General Anil Chauhan — the next Chief of Defence Staff
- Akash Ambani’s keeping up the family tradition of breaking into global lists