Twitter employee says the NY office cafeteria is serving 2 types of mac and cheese but grilled shrimp is off the menu, as cost-cutting continues
- Changes have been made to a cafeteria menu amid Elon Musk's cost-cutting at Twitter, per the NYT.
- One employee said the New York office was no longer offering grilled shrimp on Monday.
Changes to the menu at the cafeteria at Twitter's New York office have reportedly occurred as the company's new owner, Elon Musk, aims to cut costs.
One employee told the New York Times that on Monday, the cafeteria offered two types of macaroni and cheese and a salad bar, but was missing previous items such as grilled shrimp.
Musk has taken issue with Twitter's meal offerings before. He previously claimed that the free employee lunches were costing the company $400 per meal.
That claim was disputed by a former employee, Tracy Hawkins, who said Musk's estimate was a "lie."
Hawkins said via Twitter: "For breakfast & lunch we spent $20-$25 a day per person. This enabled employees to work thru lunchtime & mtgs. Attendance was anything from 20-50% in the offices."
Twitter's free food and drink is transitioning to a "partially paid" model, according to an email sent to Twitter employees and seen by Insider.
In the future, most Twitter employees will have to pay for much of the food at the company, and home WiFi and team activities would no longer be paid for. Insider's Kali Hays reported.
Allowances would be re-evaluated over time and could be added back when the company's financial situation improves, according to the email sent to employees.
Representatives for Twitter did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024