Congress accuses Twitter of ‘double standards’ for allegedly locking 5000 accounts of party leaders and workers
- The opposition party is accusing Twitter of “double standards” and also calling it a victim of intimidation by the ruling regime.
- The social media giant had recently complied with India’s controversial IT laws introduced by the Narendra Modi government.
Congress says Twitter has blocked its account for violation of rulesTwitter acting under govt pressure. It has alr… https://t.co/uDQcZAZp9Z— ANI (@ANI) 1628743605000
The reason behind Twitter's action is the notice from the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights, which directed Twitter to delete Rahul Gandhi's tweet. As per the law, the Juvenile Justice Act and the POCSO Act — it's illegal to disclose any information revealing the identity of a minor through any medium.
As expected, the mass blocking of accounts provoked the Congress party members. The opposition party has accused the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government of intimidating Twitter, by sharing instances where similar images were tweeted by accounts belonging to the National Commission for Scheduled Castes and BJP’s member of parliament (MP) Anju Bala, but no action was taken.
"Twitter is clearly acting under government pressure... it did not remove the same pictures shared by the accounts of National Commission for Scheduled Castes for a few days," All India Congress Committee’s (AICC) social media head Rohan Gupta told news agency PTI.
The opposition party leaders have also alleged Twitter of adopting "double standards" in this case.
One of the prominent Congress leaders Shashi
There is no doubt that the outrage of the rape, murder &hasty cremation of a 9-yr-old Dalit girl shocked the nation… https://t.co/XJrK2hRtSO— Shashi Tharoor (@ShashiTharoor) 1628739101000
“Action taken against a prominent Opposition leader raises obvious concerns of selectivity&bias. I urge @Twitter to restore @RahulGandhi’s account, review the policy of automatic suspensions & show more sensitivity to public concerns. Focus on what happened to the girl, not a pic!” said Tharoor.
Twitter is silent
As per the 'help' section on Twitter's website, a user with a 'locked' account cannot post tweets, retweet or interact. Users can only send direct messages to followers.
Krsnaa Diagnostics IPO opens—here is all you need to know
These are some of the highest paid founders of Indian startups tapping capital markets this year
- Route Mobile is eyeing the Latin America market to bump up its global presence
- Top smartwatches with always-on display in India
- Biometric devices for convenient identity authentication
- Best inkjet printers for business needs in India
- J&K has highest share of 5 per cent budget allocation in health sector across country: LG