Valve’s Steam Deck handheld gaming device promises to bring the power of consoles in your hands
ValveSteam Deck is a new handheld gaming device with powerful hardware.
- Designed like the Nintendo Switch, the
Steam Deckis capable of running most games available on Steam, including the latest AAA titles.
- The Steam Deck reservations begin July 16, and it is priced at $399.
The Steam Deck sports a 7-inch display and runs on a quad-core AMD Ryzen Zen 2 processor. This is paired with the RDNA 2 graphics, with up to 512GB storage and 16GB of memory. If that isn’t enough to make you feel giddy, there’s more.
Steam Deck price and availability
AdvertisementThe Steam Deck is priced starting at $399 (approx. ₹30,000) and reservations begin July 16, however, reservations are not open in India just yet. Don’t lose hope, though, as Valve says that expanded regional availability is coming soon.
The Steam Deck will start shipping in December this year.
Steam Deck features, specs and design
The Steam Deck is loaded with controls and features. It uses a similar form factor as that of the Nintendo Switch, except it packs in a much more powerful punch.
It runs on a tweaked version of Valve’s SteamOS, with an interface designed to enhance the ease of navigation. It sports a 7-inch HD resolution display, with a 60Hz refresh rate.
Thanks to the Zen 2 processor paired with RDNA 2 graphics, the Steam Deck is powerful enough to run almost everything on the Steam store. Valve says that it is capable enough to run the latest AAA games as well.
Beyond the powerful hardware, the Steam Deck also promises a complete gaming experience thanks to the abundant controls on hand – it has all the buttons you’d need, including full-sized joysticks. It also has four buttons on the back that can be mapped to do whatever you want.
Valve says the 40 watt-hour battery should offer “several hours of play time for most games,”. For lighter games or streaming, the company says you can expect 7-8 hours of battery life. This will likely vary based on real life usage, but it does offer an approximate idea of what you can expect.
But beyond gaming, the Steam Deck is actually a full-blown Linux computer. You can even attach a mouse, keyboard and connect the device to a monitor and download other software, app store or simply browse the web.
And if the Steam Deck succeeds, Valve would consider launching future models, said Gabe Newell, the company’s co-founder in an interview with IGN.
From a new 'Halo' game to the long-awaited 'Starfield,' Xbox just showcased a huge slate of new games coming to its consoles
Forget about the Xbox: Microsoft is all-in on its 'Netflix for gaming' subscription service
The game console inside the new Tesla Model X and S is powered by the chipmaker behind the PlayStation 5 and Xbox
Popular on BI
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do