Vijay Shekhar Sharma fires the shots – Paytm launches its own Android mini-app store to take on Google
- Mini apps are a ‘custom-built mobile website’ with the same functionalities as a regular app.
Paytmis offering no fees currently for developers to list and distribute their apps on the platform.
- Over 300 app-based service providers such as Decathlon, Ola, Park+, Rapido, Netmeds, 1MG, Domino's Pizza, FreshMenu, NoBroker have already joined the program.
AdvertisementAfter reports of Indian startups getting together to launch their own app store to tackle Google’s monopoly, Paytm has now announced that it has launched an Android mini-app store for Indian developers.
"I am proud that we are today launching something that creates an opportunity for every Indian app developer.
Paytm is offering no fees currently for developers to list and distribute their apps on the platform.
According to the company’s statement, over 300 app-based service providers such as Decathlon, Ola, Park+, Rapido, Netmeds, 1MG, Domino's Pizza, FreshMenu, NoBroker have already joined the program.
The development comes as many recent moves from Google have put Indian startups in a tough spot. It began with Paytm being removed for a few hours from the Play Store. Google had said that Paytm violated rules regarding fantasy gaming promotions.
This was followed by Google rolling out new payment policies where developers would have to pay a 30% tax on all in-app purchases and even included entertainment, education, dating, and fitness apps in the list. However, Google has reportedly deferred this new policy until April 2022.
Top stocks to watch— RIL, TCS, HCL Tech, Hero MotoCorp, Vedanta, Solar Industries, ITI and others
INTERVIEW: Paytm trains its guns on Google while the payments app is back in Play Store
Popular on BI
- Fedbank Financial Services IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Flair Writing IPO allotment – How to check allotment, GMP, listing date and more
- Mini Ratna IREDA stock zooms on debut with over 60% listing gains
- COP28 set to kick off from Nov 30 — UAE hopeful for deal on renewable energy tripling, doubling energy efficiency
- Family Man Manoj Bajpayee bats for movie heroes who look like ‘the common man’