WhatsApp, Facebook and Instagram down for at least an hour for users across the world
- Outage in some of the world's most popular social media and messaging apps rattled netizens around the world.
- A Facebook spokesperson blamed the outage on a 'technical issue' in a statement to Business Insider.
- Stay tuned to Business Insider for the latest news and updates.
Complaints started surfacing around 10:40 PM., according to Downdetector, which showed that users couldn't access other Mark Zuckerberg's apps including Messenger, not just in India. "Earlier today, a technical issue caused people to have trouble accessing some Facebook services. We resolved this issue for everyone, and we apologize for any inconvenience,” a spokesperson for Facebook told Business Insider.
"The appearance of error messages between services also varies. On Instagram, the outage may manifest as a "5xx Server Error," while WhatsApp simply shows the clock icon next to messages that aren't being delivered," the Android Police reported.
So far, the worst outage in Facebook's history was in March 2019 when the social network went down for hours. In its response, the company said that it was caused by a cyber-attack that involves flooding a target service with extremely high volumes of traffic. However, today's downtime is the second one this month for the platform's users in India.
Source: Government of India
|Social media platform||Number of monthly active users in India|
Rakesh Jhunjhunwaala-backed Nazara Technologies IPO subscribed by 175 times
Accenture announces one-time bonus for all employees as the tech giant sees robust revenue growth
The man who bought Beeple’s $69 million NFT reveals his identity to show the equalising power of crypto — but is caught in a controversy himself
- Over One lakh oxygen concentrators cleared by customs from April 24 to May 4
- Check out who all can travel to the US amidst uncertainty in international travel
- Water shortage might be on the way to worsen Delhi's COVID-19 crisis
- Himachal Pradesh government imposes curfew effective from tomorrow till May 16
- A third wave of COVID-19 will surely come and it may spread faster and wider but don't know when, says advisor to the Indian government