Over 1 million people played the new game challenging 'Fortnite' in the first 8 hours it was made available
"Apex Legends"/Electronic Arts
- "Apex Legends" is a new battle royale video game from Respawn Entertainment and Electronic Arts.
- Respawn announced the game on February 4th and released it for free on the same day for Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.
- More than one million players downloaded "Apex Legends" during its first day, and it's currently the most-watched game on Twitch, the top video game streaming platform.
Electronic Arts and developer Respawn Entertainment shocked the video game world on Monday when they revealed "Apex Legends," a new battle royale shooter, and immediately released the full game for free.
Battle royale describes a relatively new genre of game popularized by "Fortnite" and "PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds," the two most played video games in the world. "Fortnite: Battle Royale," is free-to-play and has more than 200 million players worldwide. The creators of "Fortnite," Epic Games, reportedly earned $2.4 billion in 2018 from the sale of cosmetic items within the game.
"Apex Legends" is a clear challenger to "Fortnite," with Electronic Arts adopting a free-to-play model similar to "Fortnite" for its own battle royale game. While the surprise announcement of "Apex Legends" only brought in about 90,000 viewers at its peak yesterday, word traveled fast - more than one million players downloaded the game in the first eight hours it was available.
More than 2 million people played "Apex Legends" in its first 24 hours.
Like other battle royale games, players fight to survive on a remote island.
"Apex Legends" will continue adding new playable characters over time.
Unlike "Fortnite," "Apex Legends" isn't available on Android or iOS devices.
"Apex Legends" will eventually have cross-platform play for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- JPMorgan Chase thought it had $1.3 million worth of nickel stored in a warehouse. A closer examination revealed bags of stones.
- Meet Rekha Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, the top Indian entrant in 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List
- Cyrus Poonawalla’s wealth grows as his health empire remains unlisted
- Adani Airports following investments as per plans submitted to govt: CEO
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping departs Russia but fails to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine conflict
- Healthcare, consumer goods minted the most Indian dollar billionaires