Tesla had a wild 2018 - here's every bizarre thing that happened
Rashid Umar Abbasi / Reuters
Rashid Umar Abbasi / Reuters
- Tesla had a tumultuous 2018, full of both major accomplishments and challenges that threatened the automaker's existence.
- Elon Musk, Tesla's mercurial CEO, attracted attention for his erratic behavior, which led to lawsuits from investors and investigations from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Department of Justice (DOJ).
- Tesla heads into 2019 with cause for optimism and concern as it seeks to maintain stability in its finances and vehicle production, while preparing to build a new factory and expand its product lineup.
Tesla had a tumultuous 2018, full of both major accomplishments and challenges that threatened the automaker's existence. A grueling production ramp for the Model 3 sedan led to production records during the second and third quarters, debt and cash flow concerns preceded a surprise profit, and a glowing safety rating for the Model 3 was tempered by quality and delivery issues.
Elon Musk, Tesla's mercurial CEO, attracted attention for his erratic behavior, which led to lawsuits from investors and investigations from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Department of Justice (DOJ). While Musk's ambition and candor on social media have endeared him to his fans, seemingly impulsive decisions this year showed the downside of his unconventional approach to being a CEO.
Tesla heads into 2019 with cause for optimism and concern as it seeks to maintain stability in its finances and vehicle production, while also preparing to build a new factory and expand its product lineup.
These are the highlights of Tesla's eventful year.
Have a Tesla news tip? Contact this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
Elon Musk sends a Tesla Roadster to Mars
Amazon account hacked to mine cryptocurrency
A Model S recall
A fatal Model X crash
A fight with the NTSB
Elon Musk gets a new compensation package
Musk's controversial April Fools' tweets
Musk fires back at reporter who hints at management shakeup
Tesla misses Model 3 production target
Musk admits Model 3 production mistakes
Workplace conditions called into question
Tesla posts a loss in Q1 but beats analyst expectations
Musk spars with Wall Street analysts
A fatal Model S crash
Two more Autopilot crashes
Musk lashes out at the media
The Model 3 gets Consumer Reports' recommendation after a software update
Autopilot marketing methods criticized
Tesla lays off around 9% of its employees
A Model S catches fire in the middle of the street
Fires at Fremont
Former Tesla employees file whistleblowing tips with the SEC
Model 3 reservations are opened to all customers
A new assembly line in a "tent"
Tesla makes 5,000 Model 3s in one week for the first time
Tesla's losses decrease in Q2 but are worse than analyst projections
Trouble ramping up solar roof production
The SEC investigates Musk's statements about taking Tesla private
Azealia Banks says Musk was "scrounging for investors" to take Tesla private
Tesla hit with lawsuits from shareholders
Tesla board members reportedly say they're worried about Musk's Ambien use
Some suppliers are reportedly worried about Tesla going bankrupt
Model 3 quality issues
Musk smokes weed during live interview after saying its bad for productivity
California regulators investigate Tesla's workplace conditions
Musk says Tesla is in 'delivery hell'
Musk sued by the British diver he called a "pedo"
The Model 3 gets a five-star safety rating from the NHTSA
The DOJ asks for documents after Elon Musk's 'funding secured' tweet
The SEC sues Musk
Musk settles with the SEC
Musk takes aim at the SEC
A new record for quarterly production
The Model 3 becomes one of the top-20 best-selling vehicles in the US
Tesla introduces a lower-priced Model 3
Tesla falls six spots in Consumer Reports' reliability rankings
Tesla posts a surprise Q3 profit
The DOJ is reportedly investigating Tesla's statements about Model 3 production
Elon Musk says Tesla was 'single-digit' weeks away from death during the Model 3 ramp
An SEC investigation into Model 3 production claims
Robyn Denholm replaces Elon Musk as board chair
Tesla begins the production process for its Shanghai factory
A Tesla Model S burst into flames twice after getting a flat tire
Key executives leave
- 'Die-hard' Nintendo fan spent over $40,000 buying stock and then asked top executives why the company won't make more of a fan-favorite series
- Mark Zuckerberg told Meta staff he's upping performance goals to get rid of employees who 'shouldn't be here,' report says
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- It’s not the CM seat but the one who wields ‘bow and arrow’ will be the Sena head
- SIMPLY PUT: extreme weather is the new normal in India
- Antonia Wade, PwC's global CMO, tells Insider how B2B spending changes in tough economic times
- Ban on single-use plastic kicks in across India as the country recognises the choking impacts of plastic waste on the environment
- Bank FDs will draw down from mutual funds if interest rates go up to 7.5-8%, says report