The 10 worst productivity lies we tell ourselves, according to an expert who's worked with CEOs, doctors, athletes, kids, and a Supreme Court judge
- Adrian Shepherd is a British productivity consultant who's lived and worked in Japan for the past 24 years.
- We're often our own worst enemies when it comes to productivity, he says.
- When you say you'll do it later, or you work better at night, you're lying to yourself. Instead, tackle those things now.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
I started out my career as a teacher in Japan. Then I became an entrepreneur. Today, I'm a productivity consultant.
Over the past 30 years, I've worked with CEOs, executives, doctors, teachers, athletes, kids, and even a Supreme Court judge. Having worked with such an array of people in different walks of life was a real eye-opener. What I learned is that we have a lot more in common that we realize.
Courtesy of Adrian Shepherd
When it comes to productivity, too often we're our own worst enemies. We love to tell ourselves lies that hold us back from achieving our true potential.
The following are the ten most common I've been told over and over again.
1. I’ll do it later
2. I work better at night
3. That doesn’t matter
4. It doesn’t work
5. I only need five hours sleep
6. I’ll skip today and double it up tomorrow
7. I don’t like to be tied down
8. I worked hard so I did a good job
9. I’m good at multitasking
10. Perfection is the goal
- Maha crisis: Sena calls floor test illegal and malafide
- GST on casinos, lotteries, horse races deferred as Nirmala Sitharaman
- Shiprocket is India’s most valuable gazelle, and all set to turn unicorn in 2 years, says report
- Zepto, Dunzo among the next 122 unicorns from India — here's the complete Hurun list
- BYJU's cuts 600 jobs across Toppr, WhiteHat Jr