The 11 biggest takeaways from the Mueller report
Alex Wong/Getty Images
- The special counsel Robert Mueller's final report in the Russia investigation landed with a bang on Thursday, marking a dramatic inflection point in the nearly two-year FBI investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 election.
- Mueller's work is complete, but as INSIDER has previously reported, there are dozens of ongoing threads and court cases that will continue well past the report's release.
- Still, the 448-page report - which was lightly redacted - revealed several key nuggets of information about Mueller's findings, contacts between President Donald Trump's associates and Russians, potential obstruction of justice, and multiple instances when Trump and those around him have lied to the public.
- Scroll down to read the 11 biggest takeaways from the Mueller report.
Thursday marked a dramatic inflection point in the FBI's nearly two-year investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 US election, whether members of President Donald Trump's campaign conspired with Moscow during the race, and whether Trump sought to obstruct justice after he learned of the investigation.The Justice Department released a lightly redacted version of the special counsel Robert Mueller's final report in the investigation to Congress and the public on Thursday morning. The report's release caps Mueller's work as special counsel, but as INSIDER as previously reported - and as the report confirmed - there are still dozens of ongoing investigative threads and court cases connected to the Russia investigation that are unresolved.Advertisement
Still, the Mueller report, which totaled 448 pages, revealed several key pieces of information that shed light on Mueller's findings and potential wrongdoing by the president and those in his orbit:
Scroll down for the 11 biggest takeaways from the Mueller report and why they matter:
A footnote fuels speculation about the most salacious allegation in the Steele dossier
Trump's many attempts to exert control over the Russia probe failed largely because aides refused to carry out his ordersAdvertisement
The Trump campaign 'expected it would benefit' from Russia's election interference
The real reason Mueller didn't charge Trump with obstructionAdvertisement
Mueller directly contradicted Barr on 'collusion'
Sarah Huckabee Sanders admitted to lying to the public about Comey's firingAdvertisement
Flynn told Mueller that Trump directed him to find deleted Hillary Clinton emails
In response to Mueller's written questions, Trump said he did 'not recall' or 'remember' or 'have an independent recollection' more than 30 timesAdvertisement
Paul Manafort discussed much more than just 2016 Trump campaign polling data with Konstantin Kilimnik
'Substantial evidence corroborates' Comey's account of a key event before his firing over Trump's accountAdvertisement
Mueller referred 14 criminal matters to other US Attorneys' offices — we only know about 2 of them
- With 242 cases in a day, Bihar's COVID tally soars to 3,806
- 123 more test positive for COVID-19 in Assam; total count 1,339
- 48 COVID-19 cases reported in a day in Gautam Buddh Nagar; total 453
- Top bureaucrats under quarantine after senior IAS officer tests COVID-19 positive in J-K
- Highest spike of 1,295 COVID-19 cases in Delhi takes total to over 19K; death toll 473