The 17 least safe cities in America
- A new ranking from Wallet Hub listed the safest and least safe cities in America.
- The least safe cities missed the mark when it came to community safety, natural disaster risk, and financial safety.
Some cities in the US miss the mark when it comes to safety.Personal-finance site Wallet Hub recently published its list of the safest and least safe cities in the United States, and the ones at the bottom of the list scored poorly in several key areas.Advertisement
The ranking compared safety metrics in 182 American cities - the 150 most populated in the country, as well as 32 more to ensure that each state had two representatives on the list.
It assigned ratings to each city in 39 different safety metrics, broken down into three major groups and weighted for importance:
- The highest-weighted category was home and community safety, including the presence of terrorist attacks, number of mass shootings, and rates of murder, rape, theft, assault, and hate crimes
- The second most-weighted category was natural disaster risk, including the risk levels of earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, hail, tornadoes, and wildfires (in some cities, data was unavailable in this category)
- The third most-weighted category was financial safety, including rates of unemployment, poverty, foreclosures, job security, fraud complaints, and identify-theft complaints
Read on to see which cities were deemed the least safe in America.
17. Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky
16. St. Petersburg, FloridaAdvertisement
15. Las Vegas, Nevada
14. Cleveland, OhioAdvertisement
13. New Orleans, Louisiana
12. Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaAdvertisement
11. Memphis, Tennessee
10. Jackson, MississippiAdvertisement
9. Los Angeles, California
8. Wichita, KansasAdvertisement
7. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
6. Detroit, MichiganAdvertisement
5. Little Rock, Arkansas
4. Baton Rouge, LouisianaAdvertisement
3. San Bernardino, California
2. Fort Lauderdale, FloridaAdvertisement
1. St. Louis, Missouri
- Delhi records 13,00 new COVID-19 cases
- Heavy to very heavy rainfall likely in parts of Maharashtra: IMD
- Goa to get second COVID-19 facility in Ponda, tweets CM Sawant
- Here’s a model stock portfolio for the ‘moderate’ risk-taker
- IndusInd bank acquires more than 7% stake in both Eveready and Mc Leod Russel