The 17 least safe cities in America
- A new ranking from Wallet Hub listed the safest and least safe cities in America.
- The least safe cities missed the mark when it came to community safety, natural disaster risk, and financial safety.
Some cities in the US miss the mark when it comes to safety.Personal-finance site Wallet Hub recently published its list of the safest and least safe cities in the United States, and the ones at the bottom of the list scored poorly in several key areas.
It assigned ratings to each city in 39 different safety metrics, broken down into three major groups and weighted for importance:
- The highest-weighted category was home and community safety, including the presence of terrorist attacks, number of mass shootings, and rates of murder, rape, theft, assault, and hate crimes
- The second most-weighted category was natural disaster risk, including the risk levels of earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, hail, tornadoes, and wildfires (in some cities, data was unavailable in this category)
- The third most-weighted category was financial safety, including rates of unemployment, poverty, foreclosures, job security, fraud complaints, and identify-theft complaints
Read on to see which cities were deemed the least safe in America.
17. Lexington-Fayette, Kentucky
16. St. Petersburg, Florida
15. Las Vegas, Nevada
14. Cleveland, Ohio
13. New Orleans, Louisiana
12. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
11. Memphis, Tennessee
10. Jackson, Mississippi
9. Los Angeles, California
8. Wichita, Kansas
7. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
6. Detroit, Michigan
5. Little Rock, Arkansas
4. Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3. San Bernardino, California
2. Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1. St. Louis, Missouri
- How to take screenshot on your Iphone
- How to change theme of your Instagram chat
- Larsen & Toubro sees a slowdown in new orders in the first three months of 2021 — management says contracts have been deferred
- Delhi plans to add 1,200 ICU beds in a day or two while daily Covid deaths drop to less than 300
- There is an online discount on the new Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme opening on Monday priced at ₹4,777 per gram