The 5 things I learned in college that actually made a difference in my life today
- Some of the most important life lessons that the college experience can offer to students will arise outside of the classroom.
- Here, author Kelly Laffey reflects on the five things she learned as a college student-athlete that actually made a difference in her life today.
I've found that the saying "the days are long, but the years are short" is particularly resonant when reflecting on my college years.
I'll celebrate my 10-year reunion in 2020, but when I think back on my undergraduate experience at Wake Forest University, it's hard to fathom that nearly an entire decade has passed since graduation.
As a student-athlete on both the cross country and track teams, I can attribute that feeling to the fact that so much of who I am today has been shaped by lessons I learned in school. Though the academics had value, it's the soft lessons that have ultimately carried the most weight for me.
Here are the five things I learned in college that have actually made a difference in my life today:
1. Time management and how to ask for help
2. The importance of teamwork and friendship
3. Don't put limits on yourself
4. You are your greatest advocate
5. Everything really does happen for a reason
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?