The 5 winners and losers of the first half of 2018 at the box office
The movie business is having a very good year.
With early year successes like "Black Panther" and "A Quiet Place" matched with the huge performances by "Avengers: Infinity War," "Deadpool 2," and "Incredibles 2," the 2018 box office is up a healthy 8% from last year, and the summer movie season is up more than 15% compared to last year.
Exhibitor Relations senior box office analyst Jeff Bock said it's quite simple: This year, the sequels are actually good.
"Cinephiles may not want to hear this, but sequels, spinoffs, and superheroes have been the guiding forces at the box office in 2018," Bock told Business Insider. "The difference between this year and last, Hollywood is offering up more sequels that audiences actually wanted to see."
To look back at how we got here, we've listed the 5 winners and losers at the box office so far in 2018:
WINNER: “Black Panther”
LOSER: “Solo: A Star Wars Story”
WINNER: “A Quiet Place”
LOSER: “A Wrinkle in Time”
WINNER: “I Can Only Imagine”
LOSER: “The Hurricane Heist”
WINNER: Summer Movies
WINNER: Disney and Fox
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022