The 9 most valuable sneakers with the highest resale value right now, according to the data
- The sneaker resale market is huge and could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025, according to Cowen & Co. estimates.
- Sneakers can increase in value over time. Limited releases and high-profile collaborations fuel the hype, and demand.
- Online luxury consignment retailer The RealReal combed its data to find the top nine sneakers with the highest resale value right now.
- A pair of Nike Air Mags with a limited edition case that went for $179 when it was released is estimated to be worth $9,900 at resale.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Sneakers are on the rise.
Cowen & Co. estimates suggest that the sneaker resale market could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025.
Luckily, online marketplaces like StockX and Stadium Goods ensure that almost anyone can cash in on the hype. Sneakers on those resale platforms have resold for as high as $20,000. Business Insider interviewed a 15-year-old in August who has made six figures reselling sneakers on StockX.
Styles and trends are constantly shifting but high-profile collaborations and limited releases keep the sneaker culture fresh and thriving. Online luxury consignment retailer The RealReal combed through its data to find the sneakers with the highest resale value at the moment. The 2011 Nike Mag sneakers with a limited edition plutonium case release ranks as the pair with the highest resale value, costing $179 at its release to going for $9,900 on the resale market, making for a 5,530% growth in value.
"These pairs of sneakers have been able to retain their high resale value because of the limited edition Nike Mag plutonium display case," Sean Conway, a sneaker and streetwear expert with The RealReal, told Business Insider.
Here are the nine sneakers with the highest resale values right now, according to The RealReal.