The best dusters you can buy
- The average home accumulates about 40 pounds of dust each year.
- That's more than three-quarters of a pound every week.
- With our choice of the best duster, the OXO Good Grips Microfiber Extendable Duster, you might just breathe easier.
While I would like to say that the dust and cobwebs in my home are early Halloween decorations, that line doesn't work most of the year. Dust just seems to accumulate at an extraordinary rate. That's not surprising when you consider how dust originates.
Those 40 pounds of dust that settle in your home each year are a combination of pollen, human and pet dander, dead skin cells, dust mites and insect droppings, soil, food crumbs, and particulates in the air. The more people and pets in your home and the more often the doors and windows open, the more dust you're going to have.Even if you claim to love the patina of dust-covered surfaces, there are plenty of good reasons to remove the dust. When we breathe in dust particles, depending on the type of particulate, our respiratory tracts respond. Some particles are fairly benign and cause mild allergic reactions like sneezing and a runny nose. Other particles can trigger asthma that severely affects breathing.Advertisement
It feels like I've been dusting since I could walk. And I must say that tools for dusting have improved since the days of using an old shirt. In addition to looking for the most effective, easiest to use, and the best value in products for myself and others, I've also realized that there are other steps you can take to lower the amount of dust in a home.
- Declutter: The less "stuff" you have in your home to accumulate dust, the less dust there will be.
- Clean from the top down: When you're ready to clean, start at the top of the room and do the floors last so you can capture all of the dust that settles there. No need to dust twice.
- Wash bedding weekly: We spend hours and hours in a bed and within a week bedding accumulates a great deal of human and pet dander, dust mites, and dead skin. Washing is a simple way to get rid of the problem.
- Remove your shoes at the door: Around 60% of dust particles come the outside and removing shoes dramatically reduces the amount of dust in a home.
- Lower the humidity: Keeping interior humidity levels around 40% will reduce the number of moisture-loving dust mites.
- Change your air filters: Fresh filters in your HVAC system will trap more dust and keep your system running more efficiently.
- Bathe and groom pets: A clean animal sheds less dander and hair.
- Vacuum regularly: Keep floors clean with a good vacuum that has a HEPA filter to trap the smallest dust particles.
Even with diligent cleaning, there will still be dust, so it's a good idea to buy a duster. We've done the research and testing to find the best dusters.
Here are the best dusters you can buy in 2019:
- Best duster overall: OXO Good Grips Microfiber Extendable Duster
- Best disposable duster: Swiffer Heavy Duty Dusters with Extender Handle
- Best lambswool duster: Norpro Pure Lambswool Duster
- Best duster for cleaning under appliances: OXO Good Grips Under Appliance Microfiber Duster
- Best specialty duster for window blinds: Hiware Window Blind Cleaner Duster
Keep scrolling to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
The best duster overall
The best disposable dusterAdvertisement
The best lambswool duster
The best duster for tight spacesAdvertisement
The best duster for window blinds
- NASA, SpaceX postpone historic astronauts launch (2nd Ld)
- NASA, SpaceX postpone historic astronauts launch
- 5 persons test positive for COVID-19 in Manipur, total rises to 44
- 32 people test positive for COVID-19 in Jharkhand, total now 458
- With 68 fresh cases, Bihar's COVID-19 tally crosses 3000-mark