The best electric lawn mowers you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Electric lawn mowers offer a number of advantages over gas-powered motors, including low maintenance and push-button start.
- Our top pick, the GO Power+ 20 inch Cordless Lawn Mower, is versatile and durable, and it has the performance of a gas model but with the convenience of electric power.
Electric lawn mowers are a practical alternative to gas mowers for many reasons. They're ideal if you have minimal storage space and don't want to deal with the hassle of storing gasoline and oil. Electric mowers tend to weigh much less than their gas-powered counterparts, so they can be easier to transport and use.One huge advantage, though, is their push-button start. The fact that I wouldn't have to deal with a pull-cord, an engine that is reluctant to turn over, or gas that had simply gone bad was one of the driving factors behind my first electric mower purchase. I have nerve damage in both hands, so a lightweight mower that was easy to start turned out to be the perfect solution for my small yard. And unlike gas-powered lawn mowers, the electric variants are quieter and do not pollute.
The mowers in this list come in battery-powered or corded design. The corded mowers are really suitable for smaller yards because you will need to use an extension cord to run the mower. Learning to mow a pattern so that you don't run over (and cut) your cord takes a bit of practice, but is also doable. The battery-powered models are a bit more versatile, though you'll find that battery life varies. If you have a large yard or an incline, keeping two sets of batteries charged and ready may be necessary if you want to mow the entire space in one session. Keep in mind that electric mowers may not be as powerful as gas versions, and the cut quality may be inconsistent
We included the electric lawn mowers below based on a number of factors, including versatility, power, battery life, features, and overall performance. They're available at a variety of price points, so you should be able to find something that works for your budget and needs.
Here are the best electric lawn mowers you can buy:
- Best electric lawn mower overall: EGO Power+ 20-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- Best electric mulching lawn mower: DeWalt 20-Inch 20V Cordless Lawn Mower
- Best corded electric lawn mower: Earthwise 20-Inch Corded Electric Lawn Mower
- Best budget electric lawn mower: Greenworks 20-Inch 12-Amp Corded Lawn Mower
- Best electric riding lawn mower: Ryobi 38-Inch Battery Electric Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.