The best electric razors you can buy
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- If you don't mind spending a little extra, an electric razor can give you a close shave, while also helping you perfectly groom your facial hair and more.
- The Braun Series 7 is our top pick because it is powerful, versatile, and effective at removing facial and other body hair.
A few generations ago, when you wanted a really close shave, you'd head to the barber shop, where you'd put your life in the barber's hands. The barber would hold a straight razor inches from your jugular, and then tell you to relax.Fat chance.
Fortunately, today you can achieve a close shave at home using electric razors, which remove the possibility of slicing your skin open or worse. Electric razors can't quite match the closeness of the shave you'd receive from a talented barber, but they're far more convenient and safe than the straight razor.
An electric razor uses spinning blades or blades that oscillate back and forth to cut the coarse hairs on the face tightly to the skin.
Guards surround the blades on the razor to protect your skin from the moving blades. Most guards also contain slots or holes that catch the hairs and lift them upward, so the blades can clip them more effectively.
The heads on the electric shavers will flex singularly from each other, allowing the razor to match the contours of your face, which helps you achieve a closer shave.
One of the best features of modern electric razors is the ability to use them in wet or dry environments, as well as with shaving gel or foam.
Foil vs. rotary electric razorsThe primary choice you'll have with electric razors is the design you want. Some people prefer a foil-style shaver, while others like a rotary-style shaver.
- Foil: The foil electric shaver contains oscillating blades that move back and forth at high speeds. These blades are covered with guards that lift hair for cutting and that protect the skin. A foil razor will often have a few separate cutting blades that flex independently to match the contours of your face. However, because a foil head has a rectangular shape, it might not match your face as well as a rotary razor.
- Rotary: The rotary razor has round blades that spin. You'll receive protection from the spinning rotary blades with a slotted guard that sits atop the blades and helps to lift the hairs so they're easier to cut. The heads flex in multiple directions, giving you a close shave by hugging the contours of your face. However, rotary heads are more difficult to clean after shaving versus the foil shaver.
Here are the best electric razors you can buy:
- Best razor overall: Braun Electric Shaver Series 7 790cc
- Best high-end razor: Braun Series 9290CC
- Best rotary razor: Philips Norelco 9700
- Best razor for thick hair: Panasonic Arc5 LV65-S
- Best affordable razor: Remington F5-5800
- Best professional razor: Andis T-Outliner
Updated on 02/12/2019 by Malarie Gokey: Added related shaving gear buying guides and updated prices.
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.