The best eyeshadow primers you can buy
- Eyeshadow primer is the secret ingredient to a crease-free eye look that stays in place and lasts all day.
- Our top pick, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, preps eyelids by creating a smooth and even-toned base that lets shimmer and matte shadows pop.
Eyeshadow primer is the single, most game-changing item I've added to my makeup collection over the years. Plenty of product categories simply do not live up to the hype but this is one of the few that does; as a beauty journalist who has tested many of these products, including eyeshadows and eyeshadow primers, I would know.
Eyeshadow primer usually comes in a neutral color and has a slightly tacky finish that allows eyeshadows, be they shimmer or matte, to stick down and stay down. It's the best way to ensure your smoky eye will not budge - until you want it to, that is.
You can opt for an eye primer that matches your skin tone or choose one in a different shade to add a boost of color beneath powder shadows. There are even some color-free and bright-white options. Different kinds of primer will impact your finished look in different ways, but all of the formulas on this list will prolong and intensify your eyeshadow for hours.
When shopping for an eye primer, make sure you pick something versatile enough to work with most of the shadows in your collection - no one needs to own a dozen eye primers. Our five favorites should help you narrow it down.
Here are the best eyeshadow primers you can buy in 2019:
- Best eyeshadow primer overall: Too Faced Shadow Insurance
- Best budget eyeshadow primer: Milani Eyeshadow Primer
- Best eyeshadow primer for oily eyelids: Urban Decay Primer Potion
- Best skin-tone eyeshadow primer: NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- Best eyeshadow/eyeshadow primer combo: MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot
Keep scrolling to read more details about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.