The best laptops you can buy
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- If you're looking for the best laptop out there, there are a ton of different choices. However, the Huawei Matebook X Pro is the best laptop we've ever used - hands down.
- Its sharp edge-to-edge screen, sleek metal design, high-end specs, and decent $1,199.99 price tag make it a true winner.
A great laptop is essential when it comes to studying and working - and one that doesn't work well can bring plenty of unwanted distractions.
If you're looking for a new laptop, there are quite a few things to consider. After all, laptops are pretty complex machines. Here are a few key terms and features to keep in mind when you're looking for a laptop:
- Operating system: While you will want to consider hard specs, the way that you interact with your laptop is through the operating system. You're probably familiar with Windows, which is by far the most popular computer operating system, but there's also Apple's macOS, which is also very capable. Last but not least is Chrome OS, which is best for those who want a simple, affordable, no-fuss laptop for web browsing and other basic tasks.
- Specs: Computers vary widely in terms of processing power and other specifications. The processor and RAM will essentially dictate how fast your computer is, while the storage will determine how many files you can store on the computer. The screen resolution is another important spec, and you'll probably want at least a Full HD, 1080p resolution. Battery life should be at least eight to ten hours.
- Size: Another thing you'll want to think about is how big the computer is. A smaller laptop will ultimately be more portable, but a larger one will have a larger display, which is better for watching movies and video production. Common sizes for laptops are 13 inches and 15 inches, though 11 inches and 17 inches also appear every now and then.
Of course, apart from all these things, you'll want to think about price. Although the very best laptops will cost you $1,000 or more, we've tried to offer a range of different laptops in different price ranges in this guide. You can also check out the best college laptops you can buy, best Chromebooks you can buy, and the best budget laptops if money is tight.
Here are the best laptops you can buy:
- Best laptop overall: Huawei Matebook X Pro
- Best Dell laptop: Dell XPS 13
- Best 13-inch laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t
- Best MacBook: Apple MacBook Pro 13 and 15
- Best Chromebook: Asus Chromebook Flip C302A
- Best 15-inch laptop: Samsung Notebook 9 Pro
- Best budget 15-inch laptop: ASUS VivoBook F510UA
- Best 2-in-1 laptop: Lenovo Yoga C930
- Best Microsoft laptop: Microsoft Surface Laptop 2
Updated on 12/21/2018 by Christian de Looper: Added the Surface Laptop 2 and the Lenovo Yoga C930.
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.