The best makeup brush sets you can buy for less than $50
- Picking the right makeup brushes can be a chore - there are so many options!
- We've researched to find the best makeup brushes you can buy, and the BS-MALL Makeup Brush Set is our top pick because the brushes work as well as high-end ones but cost a fraction of the price.
You can own the most expensive makeup, but if you don't use a quality makeup brush, then those cosmetics are pointless. Quality makeup brushes don't have to be expensive, and overspending on luxury brands is certainly a trap many people fall into. The best way to build out your makeup brush collection is to strike a balance between the features found in high-priced designer-brand brushes and the low price tag attached to better-than-nothing drugstore knock-offs.
There are so many makeup brushes and sets that it can be overwhelming to pick which ones are best for your needs. We've done the research to find the best affordable makeup brush sets in a variety of categories so you don't have to. Before we get into our picks, here are some things to keep in mind.
- A brush for everything: Each makeup brush is made for a specific purpose, so be sure to keep in mind which brushes you need when you're shopping. You can buy brushes individually to make sure each one serves a specific purpose, but you'll almost always save money buying your brushes in a set.
- Natural brushes: These are made of animal materials, with blue squirrel being the most desired, and pony, goat, and sable right behind. Some people have ethical issues about using natural brushes (which is where synthetic makeup brushes come into play) but you can also find natural brushes that are certified by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). Natural brushes hold color pigments better than synthetic models and tend to create a softer, more natural look on your skin. They are also the general go-to for applying any type of powder makeup.
- Synthetic brushes: These man-made and usually consist of either nylon or polyester filaments, which are often dyed and baked to make them softer, more absorbent, and less prone to damage from makeup and solvents. Because the filaments don't trap or absorb pigments, synthetic brushes are easier to clean and maintain and are the must-haves for individuals with certain types of animal allergies. They hold up to makeup better than natural brushes and as so are the preferred choice when applying liquids or creams, or layering powders.
- Essential brushes vs. add-ons: You can find a makeup brush for nearly any application, but to keep your sanity and bank account in check, it's a good idea to ask yourself which brushes you want versus which ones you actually need. Your collection should aim to have at least seven basic brushes: A liquid foundation brush, a brush powder brush, a blush brush, a concealer brush, an eyeshadow applicator brush, an eyeliner brush, and a lip brush.
- Price: Makeup brushes vary in price based on materials, quality, and brand name. Obviously, a fancy designer brush is going to cost more than something you find at a drugstore, but you can't always assume a higher price tag automatically equals a higher quality item.
The following picks are based on online research, expert reviews from the fashion and beauty community, personal testing/experience, and Amazon buyer reviews. We chose to go with makeup brush sets rather than individual brushes for the sake of price and providing plenty of options, although you could easily purchase add-on items if any set is missing a brush you know you'll need.
Because the feel of a brush is a good indicator of quality, we dove into customer reviews to get an idea of how real consumers judged the brushes, rather than relying on manufacturer claims. Although we were not dead-set on finding the lowest price options, the cost was a consideration; because all picks came in at under the $50 mark, we didn't dedicate any specific pick as our budget choice, considering all of them are reasonably priced.
Here are the best makeup brushed you can buy:
- Best makeup brushes overall: BS-MALL Makeup Brush Set
- Best essential makeup brush set: Andre Lorent PRO Makeup Brush Set
- Best full makeup brush set: USpicy 32-Piece Professional Makeup Brush Set
- Best eco-friendly makeup brushes: EcoTools 6 Piece Starter Set
- Best high-end makeup brushes: SHANY Pro Signature Brush Set
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.