The best powder foundations you can buy
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- If you love an airbrushed, shine-free complexion that's super quick and simple to achieve, then you need a great powder foundation.
- MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation is our top pick because it's a versatile one-step powder and foundation that combines flawless, shine-free coverage with easy application.
Powder foundations are seeing something of a revival. Thanks to the latest innovations, cakey, heavy formulas have been replaced with sophisticated powders that feel weightless and give you good coverage without drying out your complexion.They are good for everyday wear and are ideal for quick touch-ups when you're on the go. As well as providing coverage, they act as a concealer and will also set your makeup. Unlike liquid and cream foundations, powder foundations are not absorbed into the skin, but instead sit on the surface, which can make them last longer, so you don't need to worry about reapplying.
If you have oily skin, powder foundations are a godsend, as they absorb moisture and combat shine. They are also a popular summer beauty accessory, for those hot and humid days when shine is more likely to be a problem.
For fuller coverage and easy touch-ups while you are out-and-about, opt for a pressed powder foundation. Loose powder foundations tend to be lighter weight and more blendable thanks to finer pigments, but they can also be messy.
Powder foundations generally come with fewer shade options than liquid foundations. I often find that if I match my usual shade, I can end up looking more ghost-like than gorgeous, so I tend to go a shade or two darker. When it comes to applying powder foundation, less is definitely more. Too much can look heavy and chalky, so start with a little and build it up. For the best results, prep your skin with a good moisturizer and primer first. I prefer using a fluffy brush but you can use a damp makeup sponge, especially if you prefer fuller coverage.
If you have particularly dry skin or rosacea, then powder foundations might not be for you as they can settle into dry areas.
Choosing the right powder foundation can be a minefield so, to save you a lot of time and trouble, we have researched and tested the top ones on the market from drugstore steals to designer splurges to bring you the best of the best.
Here are the best powder foundations you can buy:
- Best powder foundation overall: MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation
- Best powder foundation on a budget: L'Oreal Paris True Match Loose Powder Mineral Foundation
- Best powder foundation for mature skin: IT Cosmetics Celebration Illumination Foundation
- Best powder foundation for acne-prone skin: Bare Minerals Blemish Rescue Skin-Clearing Loose Powder Foundation
- Best all-natural powder foundation: Jane Iredale Amazing Base
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.