The best shower caddy you can buy for college
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Unless you're blessed with an amazing dorm room complete with its own bathroom, you need a shower caddy to hold all your products as you go to and from the communal showers.
- The InterDesign Orbz Shower Tote Holder and Organizer is the best one you can buy with its many compartments, cute design, and affordable price.
Sharing a bathroom with strangers is hard. Most college dorms have communal showers on each floor that you have to walk to every time you want to wash your hair. Other dorms have bathrooms right in the unit, but if you're sharing one bathroom with four other girls (like I did during my first two years of college), you'll still need a shower caddy to carry all your products.Most people just buy whatever shower caddy they see first during their last-minute dorm shopping spree, but they often end up with a shower caddy that doesn't really fit their needs. You really only need to think about the shower caddy's design, so here are the main ones we cover in this guide:
- Plastic caddy: Plastic caddies are durable, sturdy, easy to clean, and they won't get water damage. We recommend the ones with compartments because the different sections make it easy to store everything from shampoo and conditioner to toothpaste and your razor. The main downside is that they're not flexible or easy to store.
- Mesh totes: Mesh shower totes are easy to carry, durable, and often less cumbersome than plastic caddies. Some have pockets to hold products securely, and others just have one big compartment. The downside here is that some bags fall over when set down on the floor and not all mesh is mildew resistant.
- Fabric toiletry bag: Toiletry bags are more subtle than other shower caddies because they zip right up to look like a piece of luggage. When you unzip them, several pockets are revealed with all your products inside. Often, you can hang them on a door hook for easy access to all your products. The downside to these bags is that they're not waterproof, so if you can't hang yours up or set it down in a dry space, it may be problematic.
No matter what style you prefer, we have a pick for you in our buying guide. Our picks include two plastic shower caddy options, two mesh totes, and one toiletry bag. Read on to learn more about our top picks.
If you're headed off to college, you can also find more great back to school content on Insider Picks along with our guide to all the school supplies your K-12 student needs and all the college dorm supplies your college kid could possibly want.
Here are our picks for the best shower caddies you can buy:
- Best overall: InterDesign Orbz Shower Tote Organizer
- Best plastic caddy: Sterilite Bath Caddy
- Best toiletry bag: L.L. Bean Personal Organizer Toiletry Bag
- Best collapsible shower tote: Handy Laundry Dorm Shower Caddy
- Best mesh shower tote: Saltwater Canvas Mesh Dorm Shower Bag
- Best lockable caddy: Shlocker Shower Locker
- Best fun caddy: Shower Squid
Updated on 06/12/2019 by Les Shu: Updated prices, links, and formatting.
Keep scrolling to read more about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.